Silicone for resealing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColtsGuy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up some 100% silicone from ace. It says that it prevents against mold not mildew. Did I get the wrong one. Please help don't wanna have to strip it off id it its. Thanks

Ended up just picking up some marineland and taking the other back thanks allot

Just cleaned it n sealed it gonna water check in 24 hours n well c if it holds. Hope so

Just for future knowledge...if a tube of silicone says anything about preventing mold and mildew then it is the WRONG type. Many kitchen and bath silicones say that because those areas are prone to mildew/mold issues. Generally, window and door silicones do not say it, but there may be some out there that do have a mildewcide...always read the label.

And don't just read far enough to see that a tube is "100% silicone"...that sounds like it has to be free of anything but silicone, right? Wrong! A tube of silicone labeled 100% silicone can still have other stuff in it...like mildew preventers. Not sure how that can be legal, and it is really misleading, but I see it all the time.

Thanks for the heads up didn't know that, glad I went with the marineland then.

Back
Top Bottom