Silver Dollar looks Hazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do another (big) water change before adding your fish back in! The ammonia levels are still too high for their safety. Also, check your tap water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate so we have a general idea of where your starting from- if your getting readings of .5-1 from your tap, then that will be the lowest you will be able to get your tank until its cycled & can process the ammonia.

The levels all look the same from the tank and my tap water, should i still do another big water change?
I just did another test on my tank and the ammonia levels are at .5

The levels all look the same from the tank and my tap water, should i still do another big water change?
I just did another test on my tank and the ammonia levels are at .5

I just want to make sure we are on the same page-your getting readings of .5-1ppm ammonia from your tap water? If you are, and your tank is reading the exact same thing, then doing another water change is not necessary because you will just get the same thing. If your tank is reading higher than your tap water, then do another water change. You will really need to keep a close eye on your ammonia levels in your tank-if your not starting from zero & instead are starting from .5 to 1, they will shoot up back up very quickly! Keep us posted!

Thank you! oh and I bought an API Master Kit today! I'm going to try it out soon and I'll post my results!
I've been putting a bubbler in my buckets with the fish, and so far they are all still a live and look healthy, but if the water seems safe I'll probably put the fish back in tonight

Just did a test and the results look GREAT!
Ammonia - 0 - Yeah Baby ;)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
pH on the other hand looks high - about 7.4-7.6 The fish I have like 6.5-7 from what I have read my fish like it from 6-7
What do I need to do to bring that down?
I have aquarium salt that I haven't added yet, will that help?

Good job!!! Im glad you got the test kit! Make sure you test your tap water for everything so you know where your starting from. Honestly? I would not be concerned with your ph as long as you keep it stable. Your fish will adjust to slightly higher ph over time. Ph swings (up or down) can be fatal to your fish.This can happen while your tank is cycling. You are going to have to keep a close eye on everything and check your water daily and do water changes when you see the ammonia/nitrites start to rise. Thats going to be the most important thing over the upcoming weeks until your tank is cycled. Once its cycled, if ph is still worrying you, you can post a question about it but i really think the most important thing to do is keep it stable (my fish would prefer @7.2 but my tap & tank are @8 and they are just fine!!!). Make sure you shake the nitrate bottles really well (they can clump) and let us know how your tap looks! Keep us posted and do not be afraid to ask more questions! :)

Its going to be quite a few weeks of work for you to keep your fish healthy. Your going to see your ammonia levels rise (water changes) then your nitrite levels rise (water changes) then your nitrates rise (water changes). Once you able to get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and detectable nitrates (you have to do water changes to get their level to 20ppm or less) then your tank is cycled and you will only have to do maintance water changes weekly. This may take 6-8 weeks. If you can get some 'seeded'/live used media from someone with an established tank, you will be able to speed things up. I know there is a company that sells live media online (Angels something?)- post a question about it in the 'getting started' forum and someone will be able to help you out with their name!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom