Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's our 55 gallon stocking plan, tentatively:
AquStockImage.php

I'm no expert by any means.. a few things I do know.. discus like it hooohtttt.. other fish that like it hot, gbr,ebr,rummynose tetras and cardinal tetras, i saw some panda corys in the discus exhibit at the Boston aquarium?? There was also an anaconda in there so yah.. discus are pretty touchy as far as fish go, I wouldn't add anything that would stress them in the least. You two seem to have a pretty specific taste in aquariums which I totally dig. Perhaps stock with something you know you'll love?? Or just commit to a discustope!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm no expert by any means.. a few things I do know.. discus like it hooohtttt.. other fish that like it hot, gbr,ebr,rummynose tetras and cardinal tetras, i saw some panda corys in the discus exhibit at the Boston aquarium?? There was also an anaconda in there so yah.. discus are pretty touchy as far as fish go, I wouldn't add anything that would stress them in the least. You two seem to have a pretty specific taste in aquariums which I totally dig. Perhaps stock with something you know you'll love?? Or just commit to a discustope!

Well, all of those fish are good in the 82-83 range, so temperature should be ok. Eels tend to stay out of sight so I can't imagine that being a problem, and if it is I can play musical fish tanks with the other 55 gallon to make it work. And botia striata stays smaller and tends to be pretty laid back. All in all I think both fish should work well with discus, and from what information I can find it should work. That said, if you think it's a really awful mix just say so and don't let me keep thinking it'll work!:hide:

Well, all of those fish are good in the 82-83 range, so temperature should be ok. Eels tend to stay out of sight so I can't imagine that being a problem, and if it is I can play musical fish tanks with the other 55 gallon to make it work. And botia striata stays smaller and tends to be pretty laid back. All in all I think both fish should work well with discus, and from what information I can find it should work. That said, if you think it's a really awful mix just say so and don't let me keep thinking it'll work!:hide:

I don't know?? It seems to be uncharted waters (no pun).. i was just offering what little I could. Go for it, if it gets crazy than you can simply remove the antagonist. If it turns out awesome post lots of video and pics:)

I don't know?? It seems to be uncharted waters (no pun).. i was just offering what little I could. Go for it, if it gets crazy than you can simply remove the antagonist. If it turns out awesome post lots of video and pics:)

Well I know the loaches, and I know enough about the eels (I had many a freshwater eel growing up) and from what I've been told about discus it should work. Freshwater eels are like giant kuhli loaches- docile and frequently invisible. They also are particular about their food so they shouldn't bother the discus too much from eating. I've got plenty of room to work with so I'm gonna give it a shot. (Unless popparyno tells me I shouldn't and then I'll figure something else out)

Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

It will be fine.

Mine could care less about a 13 inch ropefish. The peacock eel is no different, mainly nocturnal and rarely free swimming in open water.

Caleb

I think you'll be fine. Yes rams will work with discus. Mine actively breed in a tank full of discus. Im not an eel fan, but think it should do just fine. Just get the eel fairly small so that the discus can be the alphas at first. The Botias are of no concern. They'll be fine. With the eel and just abt any tank, the rules are bendable. It just depends on your level of husbandry, And the amount of attention you pay to behaviours inside tank. I have faith that you do both well and would notice anything before it got out of hand.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you two have a high tech plant tank yet???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope! Probably never will unless a fancy light, CO2 system, etc fall out of the sky onto our doorstep. We have a medium-tech planted 10 gallon with a decent LED light and some liquid ferts, but that's as much as I can afford.

Thinking about live plants for this tank- but probably just vals, fern, moss, etc.

Behold! Future discus tank!

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445428717770.jpg
    1445428717770.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 81
Nice spread!!! Bonus having the tanks around tvs, something to watch during commercials:)

I like the symmetry of having two. Chuck the tv and put a 29g there instead with some really spectacular fish- although not sure there is anything more spectacular than discus!! ( I know you have a small child so you need tv sometimes- was jk)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the symmetry of having two. Chuck the tv and put a 29g there instead with some really spectacular fish- although not sure there is anything more spectacular than discus!! ( I know you have a small child so you need tv sometimes- was jk)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, MissGurnus and I met over our love of video games so we need the TV for that :) We actually don't even have cable. Just a Wii U and a netflix account and an HDMI adapter for my macbook. But we watch the tank far more than we use the TV!

What light should I use if I want to do the 55 as a low-tech planted tank?

Cycling on the 55 is underway! Gonna do a normal fishless cycle without jumpstarting- don't have the money to get discus yet and still need to figure out a light so we have plenty of time.

Anybody got a suggestion for a cheap and simple way to light a 55 gallon low-tech planted? I'd like to do some jungle vals, java fern and moss, anubias, etc in the 55 gallon for the discus. Was thinking about the finnex stingray, like what I use for my 10 gallon planted.

If your lookin at finnex, may as well get a planted+ or a 24/7. I only say this so you'll have a wider range of things you can do

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom