Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't you use 'seeded' material??
I have seen many fishless cycles that never showed nitrite at all!

Yep. Just confused about the crazy nitrate. The only time I've seen nitrate read this high is on a tank that didn't have a water change for 6 months. Could root tabs cause that?

IMO adding the ammonia to seeded material is the cause.
Your seeded material is 'strong like bull'!
Change water now(like 90%) call that bad boy cycled!

IMO adding the ammonia to seeded material is the cause.
Your seeded material is 'strong like bull'!
Change water now(like 90%) call that bad boy cycled!

Yah.. not the first time I've seen whacky parameters with a fishless cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll wait for the nitrite to drop to 0 and then call it cycled. Gotta wait on being able to get the zebra loaches and getting some driftwood and plants. Not to mention the light and hood. Hey poppa, any update on having new plant packages?

Decided to do a giant water change on the new 55 (and all the other tanks on a normal routine). Nitrite is still high but the ridiculous nitrate was bothering me. Depending on what the levels are after a water change I might dose some ammonia and then let it run.

Started epsom salt treatment for the angelfish after moving her to the QT tank. She's going to feast on guppy fry.

Well for now I just added 1 tsp to a 10 gallon and have plans for a bath if necessary. But WOW this worked well, and FAST! It's been 12 hours and swelling is significantly reduced. Eye still looks damaged; that may be permanent. And I'll probably keep her in the QT untill she starts to grow again.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey, since this is a spawning pair of angelfish anyway, do you think it matters if I add them first?Typically I'd wait to add them but the loaches won't be here for a week minimum- Petco screwed it up :facepalm:

Id wait... They can get nasty when paired.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

True, but they're nasty anyway. And loach import season is very close to ending; it's possible it could be half a year before I can get them again.

Da loaches

Can't, petco screwed up the order. Do you think it'll make a real diference whether or not the angelfish pair is added first though? Since the only fish in there will be the bottom-dwelling loaches.

It could... Id say yes it would. When adding a "pair" they should usually be the last to enter the community. They will get viscous when in the mood. And loaches are notorious egg thieves. So i would foresee a battle.

It could... Id say yes it would. When adding a "pair" they should usually be the last to enter the community. They will get viscous when in the mood. And loaches are notorious egg thieves. So i would foresee a battle.

Hey, here's another question... what wold happen with 2 pairs added simultaneously to a 55 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom