Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whats up, second family? Your PMs are full. Can you get calls?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not much, just finished up a water change on the 26 gallon fry tank! Cleaning up and doing tank work today. I emptied my PMs but I can get calls too!

Arariel and Asriel have tubes out with some spawning behavior! Unplugging the heater for a little bit each day in hopes of getting them to spawn

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Has anyone ever seen a bit of something fleshy hanging off a female angelfish's vent? Seems like that's what I'm seeing right now on the female panda koi.

So, going by how Ron and Valerie proceed to spawning, I predict that Sunday or Monday will mark a spawn for the panda kois. Still wondering about that little fleshy bit though.

Can anybody recommend a reliable place to get a siamese algae eater or a reliable way to ID them? I'm controlling the BBA in the planted 55 but it's not quite going away, it's just not expanding either. I'd like to get something to remove it.

Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

I have 3 sae's theyre actually quite distinguishable.

1. All fins are clear/yellowish (flying fox has black on dorsal fin

2. The black stripe that goes through the body also goes through the tail fin
(flying fox may also has this but flying fox has black and/or orange in the other fins)

3. ONE pair of barbels on mouth. (flying fox has 2. Both sae and ff tuck the barbels when swimming)

4. SAE's bodies from top to bottom are blandish gold, black stripe, then blandish gold. (Flying fox has a distinguished black hue on the top of their bodies that may appear as a second black stripe depending on lighting)

5. SAE's have a darkened hue through scales that make their scales look "honeycomb-ish"

This is a flying fox
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452294028.417552.jpg

And this is a siamese algae eater
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452294046.687020.jpg

NOTE: siamese algae eater juvis' black stripe through the tail may be extremely faint through the tail but theyll color up and darken at home.
Sometimes only a single "vein" may be black.

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I didnt bring in the chinese algae eater into comparison because i think they look nothing like the other two but the link i provided sheds a little light on them too

It's more CAE that I'm worried about accidentally getting, not flying foxes :lol:

Also, can they be kept alone? I've read conflicting information on this.

Oh i wouldnt fret. Chinese algae eaters are club shaped and the middle black stripe is broken along with black areas littered about the top and bottom and their mouths are sucker shaped and they have no barbels

Chinese algae eater

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452294570.549795.jpg

Mine did okay alone he wasnt stressing at all but i did feel bad for him. He would try to socialize with my angels and theyd ditch him. Hed float around confused then go off on his own. I will say that my otto hated him. The otto got very aggressive toward him. Violently.

Will they do better in a group? Definitely. Their personality comes out a lot more. They tell others where food is when they find it and they get very playful. My first sae stopped getting his feelings hurt by my angels as well.

Sae's are very attracted to schooling fish of similar size.

I will also say that a friend of mine had territorial issues with them in adulthood but ive yet to see this.

Also 1 sae had my old 29g bba free in 2 weeks with the help of reducing my lights by one hour. In addition to regular pwc blahblablah.

Apologize for thread jacking

No worries about jacking, this thread is pretty open! And I did ask!

I've got my lights at 7 hours a day and the algae has all but stopped growing but it's still there.

I'm going to see if I can get three for this tank. I imagine that territorial issues in SAE are much like territorial issues in botias- caused by insufficient numbers. And they'll probably enjoy schooling with the zebra loaches.

Oh wow this is YOUR thread. Haha

Sorry having two toddlers has made me somewhat absent minded to some things

That plant looks so good :D Everything in our tank is green so it'll add some nice contrast too! Thanks so much TT! We really appreciate it!

Speaking of gorgeous angelfish :D

Apologies for the poor quality and distance but we didn't want to interupt them....

Wow,so cool to see spawning behavior!
The mother plant is 3 yrs old to me & has yielded several plantlets...I planted the smallest one in a glass planter along with a short runner of monte carlo in the 40b this evening...

sit in silence...

Sometimes before angels lip lock they'll give each other the stink eye and its the funniest thing xD but the dancing is super cool to watch

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Back
Top Bottom