Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WE HAVE EGGS!

Niice! That's great! At the time you posted this I noticed my angels were cleaning their spot..seems they do this every time I go to Mathcounts, if they do lay fingers crossed that by the time I get back there still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Niice! That's great! At the time you posted this I noticed my angels were cleaning their spot..seems they do this every time I go to Mathcounts, if they do lay fingers crossed that by the time I get back there still there.

Dude you're in MathCounts!?!? I LOVED MathCounts! Oh my goodness I just got hit by a wave of nostalgia! That's so awesome that you're in it!

Are you gonna save your angel's next spawn?

And thanks for the congrats everybody :D

Neener neener neener .. Told ya they would soon. Lol. Thats awesome guys. Just took time.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Neener neener neener .. Told ya they would soon. Lol. Thats awesome guys. Just took time.

You know me- paranoid and impatient :lol: I am so excited. I really, really, really hope they didn't lose their parent raising instinct in shipping! This would be my first pair raising experience since a pair of F1 rams back when i was 15 that had a "Eureka" moment randomly and then never parent raised again....

You know me- paranoid and impatient :lol: I am so excited. I really, really, really hope they didn't lose their parent raising instinct in shipping! This would be my first pair raising experience since a pair of F1 rams back when i was 15 that had a "Eureka" moment randomly and then never parent raised again....

It's not the moving that changes their parenting instincts. Those are there forever when they have them. Not all domesticated Angels have them however and this stems back to the original breeders who bred for colors not for parenting. What changes is their environment. Fish that no longer "parent raise" their fry more often just don't feel secure enough in their new environment for the fry's survival and so they eat the eggs or fry. It's kind of a screwed up psychology. They feel good enough to spawn but not to raise. The drives for these fish are so out of whack with "conventional" wisdom". :blink:

It's not the moving that changes their parenting instincts. Those are there forever when they have them. Not all domesticated Angels have them however and this stems back to the original breeders who bred for colors not for parenting. What changes is their environment. Fish that no longer "parent raise" their fry more often just don't feel secure enough in their new environment for the fry's survival and so they eat the eggs or fry. It's kind of a screwed up psychology. They feel good enough to spawn but not to raise. The drives for these fish are so out of whack with "conventional" wisdom". :blink:

So then as long as they feel comfortable they should still parent? That's good to know. They seem to recognize Ann and I as not a threat- they rush over to greet us whenever we enter the room. Hopefully this means they're secure enough to raise :)
Thanks for the clarification Andy!

So then as long as they feel comfortable they should still parent? That's good to know. They seem to recognize Ann and I as not a threat- they rush over to greet us whenever we enter the room. Hopefully this means they're secure enough to raise :)
Thanks for the clarification Andy!

Sadly, that's not really a criteria for this. They recognize you as a food source and possibly that's all. The best way I have ever found to have fish parent raise their fry is to not be present. Privacy makes them more secure. This is why fish keepers who have their fish in the living room or somewhere where there is high foot traffic and want or expect them to breed, rarely are successful. Case in point goes back to my pair of wild Rams back in the 80s. I had an entire room dedicated to breeding fish. I had multiple species of fish breeding in that room like rabbits but it wasn't until I put the rams in their 3rd location inside that room, way back in the corner where nobody usually went, that they started spawning. The only change to their routine was the location. The privacy was what was missing. Once they had that, I got eggs and fry. (y) So they didn't mind me feeding them, they just minded me being there for "the deed". :brows:

Just sayin'...... :whistle:

Sadly, that's not really a criteria for this. They recognize you as a food source and possibly that's all. The best way I have ever found to have fish parent raise their fry is to not be present. Privacy makes them more secure. This is why fish keepers who have their fish in the living room or somewhere where there is high foot traffic and want or expect them to breed, rarely are successful. Case in point goes back to my pair of wild Rams back in the 80s. I had an entire room dedicated to breeding fish. I had multiple species of fish breeding in that room like rabbits but it wasn't until I put the rams in their 3rd location inside that room, way back in the corner where nobody usually went, that they started spawning. The only change to their routine was the location. The privacy was what was missing. Once they had that, I got eggs and fry. (y) So they didn't mind me feeding them, they just minded me being there for "the deed". :brows:

Just sayin'...... :whistle:

So then I'll sleep on the couch for a month, those fish are in our bedroom :lol:

Dude you're in MathCounts!?!? I LOVED MathCounts! Oh my goodness I just got hit by a wave of nostalgia! That's so awesome that you're in it!

Are you gonna save your angel's next spawn?

And thanks for the congrats everybody :D

Seriously! Dude that's awesome! Mathlete pride! Competition is coming up and I'm set on winning. It'll be tough though some serious competition and our coaching is a joke :(. Can't pull them unfortunately since they usually lay on the intake. Still haven't go a chance to get te slate since all my money has been dropped on my planted tank stuff, can't even imagine ever going SW now.

So then I'll sleep on the couch for a month, those fish are in our bedroom :lol:

OR.....
1- Seriously consider moving the fish to a more private area of the house.
2- Don't be disappointed if they don't parent raise.
3- Don't automatically think it's the fish.
4- remand yourself to the understanding that if you want fry, YOU have to raise them.

And if all else fails, 5- "sleep on the couch for a month" and see what happens. :D:ROFLMAO: (y)

OR.....
1- Seriously consider moving the fish to a more private area of the house.
2- Don't be disappointed if they don't parent raise.
3- Don't automatically think it's the fish.
4- remand yourself to the understanding that if you want fry, YOU have to raise them.

And if all else fails, 5- "sleep on the couch for a month" and see what happens. :D:ROFLMAO: (y)

1- This house doesn't have a private area.... actually the bedroom IS the most private area considering we've got a toddler and that's the only place he isn't allowed :hide:
2- Already there. I just want to let them try.
3. See above.
4. After this attempt I'll be raising their fry myself. But you never know ;)

I'm not necessarily expecting this to be successful, just hoping it is.

Seriously! Dude that's awesome! Mathlete pride! Competition is coming up and I'm set on winning. It'll be tough though some serious competition and our coaching is a joke :(. Can't pull them unfortunately since they usually lay on the intake. Still haven't go a chance to get te slate since all my money has been dropped on my planted tank stuff, can't even imagine ever going SW now.

Hey don't worry too much about winning, just have fun with it. My school never did very well but I made some great friends in MathCounts and MathLeague and you will be SO glad that you did this stuff once you hit college. Math and good study habits are what separate the people who struggle in college and the people who excel.

Well, I talked to Ann, and we're gonna artificially rear this spawn after all :lol:

Soaked flake in 3% epsom salt solution and fed it to the redhead kois after reading a study suggesting it is in fact very effective in treating hexamita. They at a little bit each. Hopefully this improves their condition and appetite...

Hey don't worry too much about winning, just have fun with it. My school never did very well but I made some great friends in MathCounts and MathLeague and you will be SO glad that you did this stuff once you hit college. Math and good study habits are what separate the people who struggle in college and the people who excel.

Well, I talked to Ann, and we're gonna artificially rear this spawn after all :lol:

Eh, 3 reasons I'm in Mathcounts, DUKE Tip , fun and if I win always possibility of fish money.

Picture of the first spawn

Attachments

• 1452388322307.jpg
    1452388322307.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 1452388359342.jpg
    1452388359342.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 1452388387860.jpg
    1452388387860.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 38
So many eggs.... Lil guys were buildin that up.... Lol

So many eggs.... Lil guys were buildin that up.... Lol

Lol it seems like less to us because it's on a bigger slate :lol: Do they look good to you? They seem a lot whiter than the eggs from the redhead marbles but that could be because of the lighter colored slate and the difference in lighting (LEDs on the 29 vs incandescents on the 20) I'm so paranoid about this spawn...

I cant quite tell from pic. Are the clear or amberish.

Back
Top Bottom