Small tank----2.5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have a 2.5 gallon tank that they have up and running? I got one for free and would like to set up it up salt but not sure if this is worth it. I thought about throwing a small peice of LR in there and maybe one fish. What type of filter would I need other than the LR? I have a 125 gallon and 55 gallon......never tampered with a really small tank.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

If your going to go really small, put the sand bed in for filtration...one rock and an invert. I would not put a fish in something that small. It will never be able to handle the bio-load. Its just not going to be stable enough. For lighting, if you want corals, you can get small p/c lights that are made for Nano's.

Good luck! :microwave:

I had thought a peice of LR as well. It came with 2 small florescents already and is fairly bright to be so small. Wonder what invert would do best in there? Dont know that I want to do corals in something that small....

hehe...I just set up a 5 gallon with 4 inchs of sand and a piece of liverock from my 75 gallon that had a mantis in it....he now lives in the 5 gallon by himself. :mrgreen:

I would put a cleaner (skunk) shrimp in there with maybe some shrooms (p/c lighting). That should do well. Maybe some Ric's.

Squishy

what is p/c lighting??
also what would be wrong with using CC for substrate??

P/C lighting is power compact lights. They now make small (6inch or so) retro kits that can be added to Nanos.

CC does not have the filtering capacity that a DSB would. The short version is that there is more surface area on the thousands and thousands of grains of sand that would be in the tank...a lot less than there would be on the CC. Greater surface area means more room for bacteria to grow....which means more filtering capacity. You will want the DSB to be 3-4 inches deep because it takes at least that much sand to start the nitrification process. In other words, if your DSB isnt 3-4 inches deep it wont work.

That make sense?

Squishy :wink:

if its the 2.5g that AGA makes, id like to see an 8" tall tank with a 4" dsb. 8O

Back
Top Bottom