Small tetras and/or danios which will school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshie In Disguise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm still deciding what I want to put in my 20gL. It already has two small snails in it. I really enjoy small, colorful fish which will swim in schools, but I'm not opposed to anything larger as long as it is colorful or interesting. I have been told that tetras and danios are hardy and school readily as long as they aren't the only species in the tank. I would like to get 6-8 neon tetras for sure... What other small, colorful schoolers could you guys suggest for me? :) I am open to anything!

I would not go with danios if you want them to school ... read the following to understand why i say not danios for schooling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/danios-arent-schooling-188276.html

also avoid silver tip tetras if you want schooling tetras.. mine wouldnt school even if their lives depended on it... i have 5 and they are the smallest in my tank and they have NEVER schooled (i wish i would have known before i got them) Also i think they are to active for a 20g.. they use almost every inch of my 60g

i would suggest doing a search on here (AA) for schooling fish and tetras, read some other peoples experience.. that will help you make your decision :) good luck

Without a larger fish in the tank, even schooling fish often do not school.
Ember tetras are really cool. There are also purple passion danios, glowlight danios (these are not the same species as glofish), and orange fin danios in addition to zebra danios. I suggest these because they swim around higher up in the tank and neons tend to swim rather low in the tank. Like rreekers said, they mot not school up, but they are still fun and interesting to watch. :)
There are lots of tetras that work out just fine in that size tank too. Embers, black neons, lemons, penguins, and kerri blue tetras to name a few. :)
If you got a larger fish for a centerpiece fish like a molly or a dg or something then your fish would be more likely to school.

I have read around a little bit, but it's a whole lot easier to just ask.

I thought glofish and zebra danios were the same species? That's what their website says.

Would two different species (two schools) of fish encourage eachother to school? Or would I have to add a bigger fish?

I'm going to read up on all of the types suggested, and probably come back with alot more questions. :) Thanks a whole bunch!

Fish school as a safety mechanism when predators are near. In a 20 gallon, you don't have room, nor would it be particularly kind, to keep a predator in the tank just to see the fish school.

That said, I have rummynose tetras and of all the tetra species I've had, they are the most likely to swim in a fairly tight bunch. They are sensitive though and do need an established tank with rock steady parameters.

Even if they don't school, I still like small, colorful fish.

All I'm really looking for is different types of small, colorful fish to be kept at 78-80F in a 20gL FW aquarium... That's all.

Freshie In Disguise said:
Even if they don't school, I still like small, colorful fish.

All I'm really looking for is different types of small, colorful fish to be kept at 78-80F in a 20gL FW aquarium... That's all.

In my tank, I had lemon tetras, they're cute.

A centerpiece fish like a dwarf or honey gourami would be big enough to make fish school. Rasboras are also small schooling fish that would do well in a 20. A school of 8 harlequin or chili rasboras and a small centerpiece fish would be good with your neons. I have 8 harlequins in my 20 with a dwarf gourami, 5 pygmy corys, and an oto and they school pretty tightly. I would go with danios or rasboras as apposed to another tetras since they would stay in the top part of the tank

I have read around a little bit, but it's a whole lot easier to just ask.

I thought glofish and zebra danios were the same species? That's what their website says.

Would two different species (two schools) of fish encourage eachother to school? Or would I have to add a bigger fish?

I'm going to read up on all of the types suggested, and probably come back with alot more questions. :) Thanks a whole bunch!
Glofish are just modified zebra danios, but glowlight danios are a totally different species. Google it. :)
Usually, you need a bigger fish to encourage schooling fish to school. Sometimes, schooling fish will school without a larger fish, but not always. :)

When I got my Serpae tetra's they formed a tight school at first. Really following eachother around the tank in an orderly line then get together on one side and do it all again.

But after a few weeks they got accustomed to the surroundings. Now they just hang out together and go about their own thing. Not even my grumpy Pearl Gourami can make them school.

What I have seen is Cardinals and Neons can be good schooling fish.

As for my Silvertips, they tend to hang together in groups of 2 or 3. Just the odd one that will hide in the corner or decide to take on the filter outlet.

Back
Top Bottom