Snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettaorr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought a plant at my lfs I don't want snails so I didn't put it in my tank yet well I just looked at it an I got a snail my next question is I have no idea wha kind it is so with that said can he live in with my betta

Hello Betta...

It's likely a "Ramshorn". The eggs came with the plants I got at the local Petco, one time. In pure water conditions, they're a benefit to your tank. They'll eat most forms of algae and clean it off your aquatic plants, without damaging healthy leaves.

Provided you do large, frequent water changes and don't have extra dissolved nutrients in the water, the snail population will be manageable and will keep your tank clean. If you feed your fish or plants too much, this species of snail will reproduce quickly and before you know it, the little brown guys will pile up in the corners of your tank.

B

Hello Betta...

It's likely a "Ramshorn". The eggs came with the plants I got at the local Petco, one time. In pure water conditions, they're a benefit to your tank. They'll eat most forms of algae and clean it off your aquatic plants, without damaging healthy leaves.

Provided you do large, frequent water changes and don't have extra dissolved nutrients in the water, the snail population will be manageable and will keep your tank clean. If you feed your fish or plants too much, this species of snail will reproduce quickly and before you know it, the little brown guys will pile up in the corners of your tank.

B

Are they ok to keep with a adf and fire belly newt? That's my big issue

Hello again Betta...

This species is one of the good kinds to have. I've had them in my planted tanks for years. They won't damage anything plant, fish or animal that I know. Keep your water clean and their numbers won't get out of control. They'll grow to roughly the size of a dime. If you have a lot of them, then you're feeding too much. I feed a little a couple of times a week and my snail numbers are just about right.

B

Just bought a plant at my lfs I don't want snails so I didn't put it in my tank yet well I just looked at it an I got a snail my next question is I have no idea wha kind it is so with that said can he live in with my betta

If you don't want to add snails, eggs, or other hitchhikers that come on many plants you can make a solution of 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to 3 or 4 parts water and soak the plant in it for 20 minutes. This also kills any algae that might be tagging along.

If you don't want to add snails, eggs, or other hitchhikers that come on many plants you can make a solution of 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to 3 or 4 parts water and soak the plant in it for 20 minutes. This also kills any algae that might be tagging along.

Thanks I'm not rdy for them lil critters yet lol

You may find some plants do not do so well after being dipped. Vals are one that can melt when exposed to a strong oxidizer, which is what Hydrogen Peroxide is, among others. Often the Val will recover, growing new leaves from the roots and what is left of the crown, if you give it time.

Thorough rinsing in tap water will help some, if it is a delicate plant, like a Val and you would rather not risk dipping. You can often feel snail eggs by running leaves through your fingers. They will feel like slippery bumps and appear as blobs of clear jelly like material. It is fairly easy to just gently scrape or squeeze them off the leaf. If the plant happens to have algae on it, dipping is the only way to kill that. I generally prefer to allow snails to eat it off the leaves in the tank, unless it is hair or thread type algae, which I will dip no matter what plant it is. I've had enough trouble with hair algae already, don't want more.

Eating soft algaes off leaves is something ramshorn snails are very, very good at, but there are others that will do the job and not reproduce in your tank, like Nerites or Mystery snails. Nerite eggs can't hatch in fresh water, Mystery's lay eggs out of the water, easily removed.

I keep new plants in a bucket for a couple of days after I rinse them under the tap. They have light & an airstone running. Most snails, scuds or other hitchhikers will drop off in the bucket. Snails will appear on the bucket walls, scuds [ amphipods ] will go to the bottom to try and hide.

Usually the plants are pretty clean after they've been in the bucket for two days and I give them a swish round several times while they are in there, and pick off any pest snails I see when I see them.

If I see scuds I usually try to catch them,as I'd like to culture them for fish food.

You may find some plants do not do so well after being dipped. Vals are one that can melt when exposed to a strong oxidizer, which is what Hydrogen Peroxide is, among others. Often the Val will recover, growing new leaves from the roots and what is left of the crown, if you give it time.

Thorough rinsing in tap water will help some, if it is a delicate plant, like a Val and you would rather not risk dipping. You can often feel snail eggs by running leaves through your fingers and if so, it's not at all hard to just squeeze them off the leaf. It will also get any dirt or gunk off the roots. But it won't remove algae, if the plant happens to have algae on it, dipping will kill it. Or you can allow snails to eat it off the leaves in the tank if you have snails.

This is one thing ramshorn snails are very, very good at, but there are others that will do the job and not reproduce in your tank. Nerites are one, Mystery snails are another. Nerite eggs can't hatch in fresh water, Mystery snails lay eggs out of the water where you can remove them if you wish.

I try to keep new plants in a bucket for a couple of days. They have light, an airstone running and most of the time, any snails, scuds or other critters that may be hitchhiking will drop off the plant. Snails usually end up on the walls of the bucket, scuds [ amphipods ] will go to the bottom to try and hide. Typically the plants are pretty clean after they've been in the bucket.. I give them a swish round several times while they are in there, and pick off any pest snails I see when I see them.

I have it in my 10 gallon rite now and so far so good I only had the one snail that my brother is now looking after lol only prob is my 10 gallon is sold an they are coming for the tank sat I wish I had the room to keep it :(

Just fyi, these snails, while I like them and they are useful, are hermaphrodites and can lay eggs, with or without mates, from a young age. So you usually get baby snails at some point.

Just fyi, these snails, while I like them and they are useful, are hermaphrodites and can lay eggs, with or without mates, from a young age. So you usually get baby snails at some point.

I'm scared bc since my frog is nowhere to be found t I am getting a pleco therefore he should help keep the snail population uncontrol? Can u have pleco a with live plants tho ?

I have been using hydrogen peroxide as a plant dip/soak for 30 years and have never had any problems even with Vals. Now liquid carbons are another story as most Vals, Anacharis, and certain other plants and mosses do indeed melt when it's used. Leaving plants sit in a bucket won't ensure hitchhikers aren't still on the plants when you add them to your tank. If you don't want to introduce algae, snails, or other tag alongs I strongly suggest using the dip. If it was harmful to plants I surely wouldn't recommend it and I have some very delicate and rare plants and again none have ever had a reaction to peroxide dip.

As for a pleco, they won't eat snails. Puffer's do but you can't use them and Loaches do but none are suitable for a small tank.

I have been using hydrogen peroxide as a plant dip/soak for 30 years and have never had any problems even with Vals. Now liquid carbons are another story as most Vals, Anacharis, and certain other plants and mosses do indeed melt when it's used. Leaving plants sit in a bucket won't ensure hitchhikers aren't still on the plants when you add them to your tank. If you don't want to introduce algae, snails, or other tag alongs I strongly suggest using the dip. If it was harmful to plants I surely wouldn't recommend it and I have some very delicate and rare plants and again none have ever had a reaction to peroxide dip.

As for a pleco, they won't eat snails. Puffer's do but you can't use them and Loaches do but none are suitable for a small tank.

My tanks a 32 gallon but I rinsed off and I don't think we have any snails I looked rlly good

You'd be surprised how super tiny snails can be. I'm just not a fan of hitchhikers or algae that can be introduced into my tanks so everything gets a dip.

You'd be surprised how super tiny snails can be. I'm just not a fan of hitchhikers or algae that can be introduced into my tanks so everything gets a dip.

Ya I did dip its in a 10 gallon rite now be4 I move it to my big tank

I don't claim that my bucket method is guaranteed to get every hitchhiker off. But it does help reduce them, certainly. I am rather leary of dipping since the first time I tried it and melted some very nice Windlov ferns to nothing.

I cannot recall now if I used bleach, or hydrogen peroxide, it was some time ago. I am usually very careful about measuring things, so perhaps I had incorrrect information at the time, but I can't recall the details beyond how unhappy I was at the loss of the ferns.

I normally let fish or snails take care of algae on leaves, unless it is the hair type, which they often don't control. I don't have too much algae trouble, at least not yet. I thought I would, having the tanks in a south window, but I don't.

I don't worry over much about a few snails, they don't bother me, and so far there have been no big population explosions with them.

Many people still use the bleach/water dip but it is very hard on plants. I actually had a ton of Wendilov that I pulled from my 220g yesterday and it's still in a container with peroxide (which has long since oxidized out of solution) and it's fine. I won't use the bleach dip or potassium permanganate because peroxide works so well.

The problem with not dipping, at least for me, is that plants can bring in some of the nastier algaes and cyanobacteria along with nasties like hydra's and other things I absolutely do not want in my tanks. I run mostly high tech tanks that are balanced with no algae issues so I don't rely on snails and such.

Those look like Pond snails... Just get some assassin snails that will eat them all up and assassin snails look cool and don't breed like rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom