Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treyzz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is my snail ok in a tank with my female beta? I think she sometime nipps at him to bite

Bettas and snails don't really make good tank mates. The betta will often eat the snail's tentacles and the snail will start to hide inside his shell - and can end up starving.

Treyzz said:
Is my snail ok in a tank with my female beta? I think she sometime nipps at him to bite

I had to take out my Apple snail from my bettas tank, they did ok for a while then my snail started to refuse to come out of its shell. He's now got blue ramshorns in with him & he's ok with them but their much smaller.

I'm really glad you did that - and I'm sure your snail is, too. :thanks:

It all depends on the temperament of your betta. Some are easygoing and will do just fine with a snail. Others may not tolerate ANY other tank mates. I am speaking from experience. I had a female betta who lived peacefully with a blue mystery snail and two ottos. Good luck.

Tetra1990 - I agree with that. I had a betta and a mystery snail that got along fine for about a year until the snail had babies - then the betta started eating the momma snail's tentacles. From what I've read, bettas and mystery snails living in harmony are the exception to the rule. Treyzz said his betta was nipping at his snail and the snail had closed up. When it gets to that point, I think it's time for separate living arrangements. :wave:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom