Snails fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve had my tank about a year and introduced a white mystery snail about 4 months ago. It was constantly on top of my gold snail (who just died last week). I introduced a new blue mystery snail 4 days ago and the white snail was on it constantly, and now it’s dead. Is my white snail killing the others??? I’m so sad and don’t know what to tell my 5 yo. (Pics are of the white snail on my golden a few days before he passed).

Attachments

• AA2CCB87-2D06-4FE5-86BD-6365A0168078.jpg
    AA2CCB87-2D06-4FE5-86BD-6365A0168078.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4BB414D9-BB6D-4AAA-B4F2-E733FDD6D4A7.jpg
    4BB414D9-BB6D-4AAA-B4F2-E733FDD6D4A7.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 15
The short answer to the killing question would be no, but likely trying to mate.

What are your water parameters?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
KH /GH
TDS

How old is your tank?

Have your changed the filter pads in the past several weeks around the time you started getting the other new snail, or changed the substrate around that time?

Read the article link in my signature, at the bottom of this post - "Getting started". This will help explain the nitrification cycle and not throwing away your filter pads, and the knowledge to create a beneficial bacteria colony able to keep your tank inhabitants safe.

Also have you used any medication in the tank? Some medications contain ingredients dangerous to invertebrates, i.e. copper and similar metals, and ingredients.

Sometimes adding additional inhabitants creates a mini cycle due to the changes of more foods and waste being produced than the amount of BB / beneficial bacteria can process.

I'd say your white snail is one randy fellow. I've had a couple of Mysteries that were constantly after sex; the first one ran everyone ragged and ultimately, I believe, just wore out a female until she died. Off to a breeder he went. The other super-mater met his match in a female and they literally turned the tank upside down with their constant antics. Everyone/thing was upset, from the betta, who was the star of the tank, to the water parameters from all the pooping and egg laying and general chaos. Off they went to the local fish store, with a warning to separate them unless a snail farm was desired.

Now I have only one Mystery per tank. If you go the solo route too, it looks like your white may have sealed his solitary fate. On the other hand, if you give him away and try again with two new ones, you could find yourself in the same situation all over again. Some are super maters, some are average, some have little interest. This goes for them being opposite or same sex, they'll be who they are whether it results in offspring or not.

It's possible that the new blue was young or adjusting to the change of environment, or both, and the white one just wouldn't give it breathing room to adapt. I've seen the "elder" literally take the new one under its wing (meaning antenna, or antler as I call it) and protect and guide the junior until it is an adult. Your white appears to have other things in mind.

Btw, have you checked the top rim of your tank for egg sacs?

Back
Top Bottom