Snails in filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete w

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 long tank that has been set up since August 2012. All fish are doing well. I have 2 hang on the back filters on whisper 30 and aguatec 20-40 filter. I change 5 gallons of water every week.
I was changing one filter media every other water change then I read on here to leave the filter media and just rinse it off. I started to do that when I took the media out last time to change it it had about 10 tiny snails In it is this a good thing or a bad thing? Media also looked cleaner the. I the past.

Snails are little grey snails believe they are pond snails. I do not mind them In the tank for now. I am little worried about a population explosion. If this happens I was going to get either clown loach or Asian snail

Sorry it was long winded but I was trying to put as much info in as I could

Pete

It's quite common for snails to get into filters and feed, therefore cleaning up, the media. I once had a colony of MT Snails in my Fluval 406 that was set up solely as a biological filter. I always have to pick some snails off when I clean my filters.

So then it a good to leave them on there. I understand they eat the stuff on the filter but what about the snail waste?

Pond snails are small and babies are tiny so their waste isn't even worth counting IMO.

Back
Top Bottom