Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Panther, mystery snails WILL crawl out of the tank. Mine went out twice, once for 3 hours and once for 15 hours. Yeah, yikes. Thankfully she was able to close her whole shell, and didn't dry out. I covered every single hole her shell would fit through.

The cuttle never affected my pH enough to cause any damage.

So my ivory snail isn't very active ics that the stress of a new aquarium cause my other snails didn't do that

I got 4 snails at the same place and when i put them into my tank they all cane out and checked out my tank. All except one.. So I turned off me
Light,closed my door and gave it some privacy. He still didn't come out. While I was sleeping with the fish light on. In the morning I noticed he had moved to a new spot. I have a very shy snail!

Mine would stay dormant all day, and cruise around at night when the fish were "sleeping." I could pick her up though, and I always put her right next to the algae wafer when I fed her. Sometimes I would hold her up to the wall too, (especially before feeding), so she could take air. If I didn't do that, she would leave the food, get air herself, and by the time she got back to the wafer, it was covered in other snails.

I really like my assassin snails.. its amazing how well they get rid of nuisance pond snails.. way better than a loach would do. And far less messy.

So everybody I was cleaning my glass hood and found another clutch the thing is I dont know how she got it where she did shes bigger than the space she laid them at here is a pic

maddy, I've used the liquid calcium from Petco before. Isn't it sold for saltwater tanks? I only bought one bottle of it because it was pretty expensive. I use the cuttlebone too and haven't had a bit of problem with my water chemistry. It just dissolves in the water and the shells of the snails absorb it. I'm told that they eat it like they do calcium pills, but I've never seen them do that. But I figure if it is being absorbed, that's good enough for me.

xfactor6699 said:
So everybody I was cleaning my glass hood and found another clutch the thing is I dont know how she got it where she did shes bigger than the space she laid them at here is a pic

They are definitely resourceful. I don't add anything to my water for calcium and I had a snail with a really thin shell i got from the LFS and her shell has really improved. I read somewhere that maybe my water has alot added to it already???

That's insane!!! I do have a pic of mine laying her eggs in the lid too, but I didn't think they could reach into something that far. You have one genius snail on your hands!

Some water is harder than others, and it already has calcium in it (the water in the town I moved from was like that).

So I put in my cuttle bone but they dont seem to be interested in it at all

They are definitely resourceful. I don't add anything to my water for calcium and I had a snail with a really thin shell i got from the LFS and her shell has really improved. I read somewhere that maybe my water has alot added to it already???

I think some tap water does have calcium in it. But I don't think it would hurt to add more. Recently when I've had two apples die of old age and even though I was adding some calcium, I wasn't using cuttle bone then and when I took them out their shells were sorta of thin but definitely pitted.

So I put in my cuttle bone but they dont seem to be interested in it at all

Mine either really. I've been using cuttle bone for about six months now and just yesterday I noticed my ivory sucking on it for the first time but I've never noticed my other apples eating it. Unless they do it at night or something.

BeavisMom62 said:
I think some tap water does have calcium in it. But I don't think it would hurt to add more. Recently when I've had two apples die of old age and even though I was adding some calcium, I wasn't using cuttle bone then and when I took them out their shells were sorta of thin but definitely pitted.

Also to add calcium is amazing for fish and plants

BeavisMom62 said:
Mine either really. I've been using cuttle bone for about six months now and just yesterday I noticed my ivory sucking on it for the first time but I've never noticed my other apples eating it. Unless they do it at night or something.

Someone told me that as the cuttle bone breaks down in the water they absorb it and they only need to eat it if they aren't getting enough I dont know if that's true or what but makes since

Yes, it definitely dissolves in there. My cuttlebone which started out as the usual size is now about 3" long. So, thats a good thing if they DON'T like to eat it at least they are still getting calcium. Calcium containing veggies is good too, kale, turnip greens, etc.

BeavisMom62 said:
Yes, it definitely dissolves in there. My cuttlebone which started out as the usual size is now about 3" long. So, thats a good thing if they DON'T like to eat it at least they are still getting calcium. Calcium containing veggies is good too, kale, turnip greens, etc.

Mine get romain and cucumbers

Yep, mine too and they really seem to love zucchini. I usually buy a few of them, peel them, steam in the microwave until soft, let them cool and then put in the freezer in a zip lock. Then I'll defrost in some tank water with a drop of garlic and put it in the tank in a veggie clip. Love 'em!

Back
Top Bottom