So I'm finally starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this hobby is about patience but is there anything I can do to make the environment more friendly for the bacteria?

Coel said:
I know this hobby is about patience but is there anything I can do to make the environment more friendly for the bacteria?

Turnin up the heater to mid 80's might help- bacteria like warm places. Just remember to turn back down before you add fish at end of cycle.

Also where is a good place to buy pods? and can you buy coralline algae? since im having base rock i need to get it growing once i have lights.

Reefs2go has amazing pods. In terms of coralline, you can't buy just it to my knowledge... But to seed my tanks with margarita snails or coral with coralline on it.

Coel said:
Thanks and are pods sensitive or do you just buy and dump, and what do they eat?

My LFS keeps the tigger pods in the fridge, so if I want them to live (and I do-lol), I have to acclimate them so I don't shock them with the temp change when I put them in the fuge.

Coel said:
Thanks, I've been planning this since the end of August so I'm very stoked

I bet!! That's really awesome. I don't have any saltwater set ups, but I'm hoping to start out with a nano tank soon. So, you're inspiring me! :)

I'm glad I can be the inspiration for you, I got a lot of my inspiration from the board. If I had to do a nano reef again I would do a 20L or a 10 nothing smaller. My 5g is a pain to keep up. Though I am really glad to be setting up the 38g

Coel said:
I'm glad I can be the inspiration for you, I got a lot of my inspiration from the board. If I had to do a nano reef again I would do a 20L or a 10 nothing smaller. My 5g is a pain to keep up. Though I am really glad to be setting up the 38g

I bet you will love it. Thanks for the advice. There is a guy that lives close to me that is starting a large reef tank and is wanting to sell his established 10g nano tank. He's only wanting $130 for the whole set up because he can't take care of both. Not sure if it's worth it not to have the experience of cycling and everything. Any advice?

I'd say likely worth it, even if it only has half the equipment, if it comes with any fish/coral it could be a much more affordable way to go about it. I'd say find out what it cleaned with and repost the question to ask others on AA.

jmay33 said:
I bet you will love it. Thanks for the advice. There is a guy that lives close to me that is starting a large reef tank and is wanting to sell his established 10g nano tank. He's only wanting $130 for the whole set up because he can't take care of both. Not sure if it's worth it not to have the experience of cycling and everything. Any advice?

$130 seems like a lot to me for a used 10g set up. Some people get entire set-ups of a 100g tank for about that much. What all is included? You might wanna offer less and see if they guy takes it.

Coel said:
I'd say likely worth it, even if it only has half the equipment, if it comes with any fish/coral it could be a much more affordable way to go about it. I'd say find out what it cleaned with and repost the question to ask others on AA.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm going to go take a look after this thanksgiving break. I'll take pictures and post the question then. I know it has some corals and some fish. The fish I remember for sure is a purple fire fish, which was my first choice for a fish in my nano tank when I started one. :) it also has a grey brittle star. I'm hoping it will be what I think it is!

Unless there is a good Cyber Monday looks like I'm spending 200$ on lights and was wondering does anyone have any experience with the kessil pendants?

and my nitrites have officially dropped i am at 0.5ppm looks like i will be getting fish this week as my lfs aka petco will be getting green chromis in this week. I am so excited.

Coel said:
and my nitrites have officially dropped i am at 0.5ppm looks like i will be getting fish this week as my lfs aka petco will be getting green chromis in this week. I am so excited.

That's awesome! My brother LOVES his green chromis. They're so fun. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom