Soemthing weired with spikes all over it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

ive had my tanks and rocks in my tank for almost 3-4 months now (without changing anything jsut adding new fish) and last week I saw something weired in a whole in a rock. It had spikes on it.

When i went to take a photo it was gone.

however last night it came back and i managed to get a photo this time.

Does any one know what it is?

is it dangerous to the fish or me (is i put my hands in to re arrange rocks etc)

Ive attached a photo.

Its not the best photo but its the best shot i can get of it

thank you in advance

Attachments

• 1000001510.JPG
    1000001510.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 298
ahh ok...

are they dangerous? should i remove it from the tank?

like are they reef safe?

I have no corals anything like that just live rock and fish

thanks guys

Danny

Nope. Lots if people actually pay for them. They eat algae and deitrus and are pretty cool. The spines are sharp, don't touch it. Make sure your live rock is sturdy.. They have tendency to knock stuff over.

ahh ok thanks heaps.

Now im scared to put my hand in the tank to move rocks around :) nah kidding. thanks again ay, i do appreciate your help.

maybe you can help me with another thing.

Ive got this thing its looks like a 'hairy' slimy worm. Its size is about 1.5cm long by .5 mm wide, its slimy brown colour at the bottom and the top of it is all hairy. its always on the glass of my tank.

sometimes it goes in the sand (still along the glass) and its sits in the sand for days then all of a sudden it come back up while still being on the glass.

any idea what that is?

thanks again

Hmmm... Pics? May be a common bristle worm. Google those and see what you think. If so, super common hitch-hiker. Lots of folks think they are gross but they are great tank cleaners. Eat all kinds of waste product. Also, hairs on the side are stingers. Don't touch em (you'll find that almost everything you put into your tank can hurt you in some fashion so just use good sense and caution)

mmm just googled it and it sort of looks like that... the hair all over its body though. not sure... you think its ok to keep them in the tank?

ive got the following fish in my tank.

2 x NEMO
1 x YELLOW TANK
2 x CHROMIS
2 x FIRE FISH
2 x HERMIT CRABS
2 x STAR FISH (not sure the type / name)

My tank is 75G, filter is MATRIX. and i have about 40kg of LIVE ROCK

thank again for your help

:)

Danny

The species of marine worm you are probably looking for is polycheate. There are thousands of different marine worms. Almost all are perfectly safe.

I had an urchin in my tank and it ate ALL the algae! Eeeek! I was pretty sad about my coralline. Keep an eye on yours :)

Thanks for everyone's helps.

I saw something else in the tank which ive tried to google and see but I cant find anything that looks like it. Anyone know what it is?

Please see attached

Thanks again

Attachments

• image-1936057085.jpg
    image-1936057085.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 178
Here is a good link for hitchhikers Live Rock Hitch Hikers if you really want to see some stuff watch at night, get a magnifying glass you will spend hours looking at all kinds of little sea boogers. Just be careful before pulling something out with your bare hands some of them have nasty stings.

Hey guys,

again thanks for everyones input and help over the past few month...

Not sure how these things are coming but again today i found something weired in thank. It had spikes all over it and it was long (see attached)

if you can tell me if its ok to keep in the tang or if i should remove it?

thanks guys

photo.jpg

Regards

Danny

Looks like a black nudibranch? Google nudibranch. If it is... Some species of nudibranch will feed on your coral. Maybe move him to your sump to watch him? He's very cool looking.

Maya said:
Looks like a black nudibranch? Google nudibranch. If it is... Some species of nudibranch will feed on your coral. Maybe move him to your sump to watch him? He's very cool looking.

Hi,

I did google it but it doesn't really look like any of the ones that came up. Unless It is but a different species???

Are they dangerous to the fish?

Thanks

Danny

There are an unknown number of varieties of nudibranches and sea slugs. If you use google image, you will get an idea of the sheer enormity of the different color, size and shape variations. And a lot of them have different habits as far as defense and what they use as a primary food source. My advice would be to just watch him. Your fish are probably not going to pay much attention to it. A concern might be to coral but there isn't any good way to tell offhand. Absolute identification is going to depend primarily on trying to narrow down a search, and that is only beneficial if it is one of the identified types. (more than 3000 RECORDED species and species variations, lots more are unidentified). I would use nudibranch as a starting point to learn about general behaviors and then observe him in your tank. If he is a worry to you, move him to your sump and see where you stand.

It could be a nudibranch, bc of it's size. But I think it looks closer to a sea cucumber of some kind. Sea cucumbers are good detritus cleaners but if they get stressed or die they can release toxins into the water.

Back
Top Bottom