Sold wrong fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
So once again Hubby comes home with fish for my birthday. Which is Wednesday.

Except I think they sold him a catfish and he swears its a iridescent balsa shark.

Can I get some help on identifying him or her please?

Sorry about the messy pictures. I am waiting for everyone to eat so I can clean it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0165[1].jpg
    IMG_0165[1].jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0166[1].jpg
    IMG_0166[1].jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0163[1].jpg
    IMG_0163[1].jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 138
That's an iridescent shark/pangasius catfish. I'd take it back, idk your tank size but it's to small for it. They get over 3 feet

Happy Birthday! :)

Your husband did buy an iridescent shark which happens to be a type of catfish.

I owned one of these once, it died during the 2 week power outage following Hurricane Sandy along with every other fish in the tank EXCEPT my common pleco.

I had a 60 gallon tank that the shark, at 13", could just barely turn around. In addition, iridescent sharks get spooked very easily with age and will torpedo back and forth across the tank and smash into the glass. This caused many injuries and a host of infections over the years I cared for it.

The life of an iridescent shark in the home aquarium is more often than not a sad one. This is one fish that I will never own again.

Having kept one of these for 8 years, I strongly recommend returning this fish to the store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom