Some direction please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murano22s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I everyone, I am looking for a reputable breeder of cockatoo dwarf cichlids. I live in nj northern part almost all the way north lol. I have gone to all the pet stores within a reasonable distance and I find mainly African and sometimes a gbr or 2 but never a cockatoo. I don't like the idea of ordering one bc of they are a delicate species, the costs of shipping, and finally I want to pick my exact fish in person... I live in newton nj and would be willing to drive an hour or so each way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I dont know what lfs you have there but what I would do is find a manager and ask them if they can try ordering it/them. Or keep asking around for a breader in your area maybe your lfs can help with that too.

Andrew McFadden said:
I dont know what lfs you have there but what I would do is find a manager and ask them if they can try ordering it/them. Or keep asking around for a breader in your area maybe your lfs can help with that too.

I have both that are close only do African... The other is very over priced and I mean I might as well have them shipped bc it would save me the gas money lol. However they have only top notch livestock. They will close a tank down for any slight problem and I mean one dead fish means tank is closed. Great store great stock but very pricey.

This is the fish I'm looking for it is an orange cockatoo... Idk if this place does color enhanced photos or breeds for color but the fish is beautiful.

Attachments

• image-3122220159.jpg
    image-3122220159.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 76
I have the same problem here and I'm going to order fish from live fish direct in the next week or two. None of the lfs sell any of the fish I want Nd or can't order them in.

I've had jmedic refer me to Davesfish.com,he has a huge selection of African fish...very impressive.

Ya he told me aswell and he only had like two of the 15 Cichlids I want. And someone told me to look at sicichlids and they have n/a on almost all there fish.I just ordered 9 of mine from the place I told ya about coming on Tuesday. See how this goes cause I've never ordered fish online. If all goes good ill order some more after them I have a big tank lol

Andrew McFadden said:
I have the same problem here and I'm going to order fish from live fish direct in the next week or two. None of the lfs sell any of the fish I want Nd or can't order them in.

I ordered from josh at live fish direct and my 6 johanni got ich which he did reimburst me for in store credit but then I used that to get a show male and 6 adult female jalo reefs and half the females ended up being males...this is just my experience but thought I should share it with you before you order and I've been trying to reach them about the sexing issue and they are quite difficult to reach

Well, I already ordered I guess ill see what happens. As long as they screw up the ones I was going to re order next week ill be ok. Lol :\

I live in newton nj and would be willing to drive an hour or so each way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You should check your local fish clubs. The members always have the inside scoop as to reputable breeders of just about any species. Many of the local clubs will have websites with the names and sometimes more information on each member.

maybe this will help: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/resources/clubs/

Well I went to the pricey store today they didn't have the cockatoo but they did have a pair of electric blue rams 30 each ouch but I bit the bullet and bought them I drip acclimated them for 2 hours just in case the ph was not close enough. I turned off the lights so the pic was taken with a flash, they do have wonderful color though.. I'll take another pic tomorrow with the lights on... I will be monitoring them through the night and next few days very closely... But I hope to have little issues. They seem to be good so far. I also ordered the cockatoos so soon I'll have my setup complete and the plants will be the main focus until, if it happens, breeding occurs.

Attachments

• image-1833165315.jpg
    image-1833165315.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66
If you are willing to drive a little you should check out Eli's right by 24 in florham park or the pet store on 23 in Wayne (the guy in the fish room is awesome and will give any advice he can but don't go at night cause the kids are idiots)

Malawi Freak said:
If you are willing to drive a little you should check out Eli's right by 24 in florham park or the pet store on 23 in Wayne (the guy in the fish room is awesome and will give any advice he can but don't go at night cause the kids are idiots)

I went yesterday and did speak to an older gentleman. He didn't have what I wanted but did say he has a breeder and he would be giving me a call this weekend.

Malawi Freak said:

Also I went to natures cove, I won't go back tanks full of dead fish I couldn't believe the poor upkeep.

If you want exotic and are willing to pay the price go to absolutely fish on 46. They can get ANYTHING!

Which did you go to, both have old guys.

I went to Eli's first and looked for the fish then asked the guy... Then went to absolutely fish and they didn't have them either but again they will call. I'd personally rather go to a breeder bc I'll know more about the environment they we're kept in.

I've been trying to find apistogrammas for a while now too, the problem isn't so much the price of the fish but the shipping and handling that gets to me.

Back
Top Bottom