Something coming out of my Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckaquarist

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, hope someone can help me identify what is coming/growing out of my snail.

Here is the pic, its not very good had to take it with my phone;
http://www.geocities.com/incorpporated/snailpic.JPG

Looks like a white sac of something coming out from above his/her head, he/she has been sitting at the bottom of the tank. I thought maybe it was an egg sac, but I have been reading how snails will put their eggs at the top of the tank.

Don't see anything related to what this looks like.

It looks like a clearish/white sac coming out between the head and the shell area.

Try this site - its the same one Purrbox gave you but a different page. When the page loads scroll down - picture is on the right side - with a definition of what - achem - it is :scrambleup:

Reproduction

i've been led to believe that snails have both male and female sexual organs

seems to me (from the info presented in the 2 sites) that it's not true.

anyone has any clarifications on the subject ?

i've been led to believe that snails have both male and female sexual organs

seems to me (from the info presented in the 2 sites) that it's not true.

anyone has any clarifications on the subject ?
Some snails are male or female, but others are hermaphrodites. However, even the hermaphrodite snails trade reproductive cells (eggs/sperm) to reproduce. Some have one of the pair act as the female, while most copulate mutually, where both snails end up leaving with fertilized eggs.

There are, however, some species who self-fertilize for a portion of their lives.

BTW, I only got all this info from this post.

Back
Top Bottom