Something grow on my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izheaven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
does any one know what is this?? will these harm my fishes??

Attachments

• IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 155
It looks like a marjano anemone, they are a pest. Have you poked it? If you poke it and it closes up in on itself it it a margano, if makes a little bulb type thing it is a paly or a zoa. I am thinking marjano, if you don't have many and have a hypodermic needle around inject it with lemon juice or you can do the aiptasia x route which I find doesn't work as well. Some people like aiptasia x but I find I have to keep using it.

if you put enough on it, the aptasia x, which i hear is nothing more than kalkwasser paste, will work fine. i injected an aptasia with vinegar before and the next day there were 4 of them in the place of that one. i never tried the lemon juice.
if this is going to be a FOWLR tank, you don't even have to worry about the majano. it can do no harm to fish or inverts. the trouble with them is they spread quickly and can sting neighboring corals.

well, any ideas how they start to popup?? is it a common problem??
how should i prevent this/controlling method??
is there any of my parameters is wrong??

i maintain my :

1) Salanity @ 1.021-1.022
2) pH@ 8.3-8.5
3) 9-10dKH

ph is a little high, but none of your parameters have anything to do with these anemones surfacing. they are just common hitch hikers. they hitched a ride on that live rock you bought.
to control them they need to be killed. people kill them with various methods, some of which are mentioned above. i have heard of people injecting them with boiling water, vinegar, and lemon juice. there is also a product called "joes juice", that comes with the applicator (i believe a syringe) and detailed instructions.

TQ guys for the helps,
just read about the Joes Juice, will look for it now...

If it isn't to much a pain to get the rock out you can always burn it with a lighter, just make sure you scrape it off afterwards it doesn't take much for it to start growing another one or two.

Back
Top Bottom