Something Strange??? You gotta read this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Awhile ago I posted and asked about something sticking out of my LR that was glowing a neon green color! Well last night after lights out and a game of Madden 06 I was peeking in on my Nano and noticed again there was something sticking out from under a rock that was GLOWING!!!

So I grab my little LED flashlight and my wooden skewer reached in and moved the rock a little (tiny little rock with a Tonga Shroom) when I moved it there was a Brittle Star under it and he quickly scurried away. Well when he scurried away what was left was one of his tentacles and it was still alive!!!!!! amazingly enough the Brittle and his seperated arm moved in oposite directions and the brittle climbed into another rock crevice and his arm went into an empty hermit shell!!!!!

Now at first I thought no way, and figured it must have been the beers I drank when I got home, but I wiped my eyes 8O and looked again and as the arm was CRAWLING across the sand to the shell it kept emiting a bright green glow!!!!

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Or am I crazy?

How many beers didja have anyway? Like asking for water parameters, we've gotta determine all supporting evidence before we can diagnose. :roll:

Seriously though, I had a brittle leg that kept moving for about 3 weeks. It began to turn white from the tip and I was told that if it couldn't eat, it would starve anyway. I got rid of it. But I'd like to know also, is the tale about brittle legs regenerating into a whole star one of those urban myths???

Back to the green glow...how many beers was it again?
:wink:

No seriously ... I only had 2 Pauli's Girl, so I know I wasn't drunk!! LOL .... I wish I had some supporting evidence but I don't!!!! I'm gonna see if I can catch it on my new digi that takes video and stream it to the board. Would someone be able to host it for me?

BUT like always now that I want it to happen again it won't!! :wink:

Have you seen that show 'Surface'? I say destroy it before it destroys us ALL!

I have seen my brittle stars glow as well, however they only do it when something disturbes them at night. They have some bioluminescent cells that from what I can remember are used to attract prey.

LOL ... to funny!!! Now here I am thinking I have ET stars in my tank!!! I'm still going to try and capture this phenomena on video tonight!

Nice find mykpoz!!! I searched and searched and came up with nothing ... now that was probably a result of the beers!!!

I amazed ... I didn't know starfish could glow! Very Cool!!! Now only if they'd come out of the rocks!!!

leave it in the tank for now. If enough of it is left it might grow back. I've heard it said numerous times but don't know for sure if its true. I've heard it happen with the big starfish like those big leather ones or whatver but that's it.

Even if it were to die it was so small I don't think it would harm anything! I checked it out again last night and while it was not glowing it was definitely still in that shell! Pretty Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom