For Sale: South American Redtail Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Who wants one of these beauties! Make me an offer
currently 2 inches.

Ph level - 7.4-7.6
  • Water temp. - 74-80 °F
  • Tank mates - Fish that are larger than the catfish's mouth
  • Feeding - Bloodworms, krill shrimp, fish fillets, pellets, whole shrimp ect. (will eat most anything placed in tank)
  • Mature size - 4 to 5 feet in lenth, 80-120 lbs
CATFISH_REDTAIL_S_A__T_R__REGULAR.jpg

catfishLarge_redtail3.jpg

Last edited:
How fast do they grow? I want one of these so bad but I think I wont be able to take care of it.

They grow about 6 to 8 inches a year. I had one for 9 years and he only maxed out at 2 1/2 feet. Beautiful fish he was. Lots of people have opinions on these catfish. You need to do your research first to see if your willing to commit yourself to a red tail.
For me it was years of complete pleasure owning one of these catfish. Truly a special and rewarding experience.

So in one year I am looking at a tank jump from 30gal to over a 120gal? I have done research but I like personal experience a lot more.

If you get a 150 gallon tank for your next tank you will be good for a few years. I went from a 55g to a 90g to a 150g to a 280g this all took place over 4 years. It all depends on how fast he grows. If you over feed he will grow faster. Hope this helps. Anymore questions just ask.

Back
Top Bottom