South or Central American build project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 Apisto oregon were added a week ago. Now there is 1. Gillie, I know you said 3 to 1, but the wetspot sells them as unsexed pairs unfortunately.
They've also been out of the zebra otos and cupid cichlids for a few weeks. Cant wait to add them!

Heres a few shots of the bully killer.

Im still working on the rock walls, plant, and big ol piece of manzanita.

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

2 Apisto oregon were added a week ago. Now there is 1. Gillie, I know you said 3 to 1, but the wetspot sells them as unsexed pairs unfortunately.
They've also been out of the zebra otos and cupid cichlids for a few weeks. Cant wait to add them!

Heres a few shots of the bully killer.

Im still working on the rock walls, plant, and big ol piece of manzanita.

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

Oregon is in the nijsseni group so they are pair only and anything from that group can be nasty( nijsseni, panduro, oregon, pantalone etc) some of the best Peruvians are bitaeniata, cacatuoides, agassizi and allpahuayo which Wet Spot calls juruensis, but cacs and allpahuayo can't be kept together though, they will cross.

I just got a nice Peruvian that I've been waiting 20 years for, apistogramma luelingi.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The dorsals on those cories are ridiculous and it's nice to see they had rhodostomus rummynose.

Sorry if this was already mentioned but what's the scientific name of the corys or are they a C number? They are really superb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks man!
Yeah, twas a bummer to find the 2nd Apisto dead by my niece. Dont worry, she mourned, and is back to asking for "big fish."
The guy getting my fish at the WS assured me they were m/f. I also told him im about to go on a 3hr drive too. I'll specify for all future purchased cichlids to be put in separate bags for the long drive. I dont think they liked each other much after the drive. The apistos were of equal size(1.25in). How old or big until sex can be determined?
I really like the loretoensis!

Thanks man!
Yeah, twas a bummer to find the 2nd Apisto dead by my niece. Dont worry, she mourned, and is back to asking for "big fish."
The guy getting my fish at the WS assured me they were m/f. I also told him im about to go on a 3hr drive too. I'll specify for all future purchased cichlids to be put in separate bags for the long drive. I dont think they liked each other much after the drive. The apistos were of equal size(1.25in). How old or big until sex can be determined?
I really like the loretoensis!

An inch and a quarter should be easily sexable
Male top, female bottom( pics are not mine and are credited to my friend Tom C.)

Attachments

• 1449802625346.jpg
    1449802625346.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 1449802640939.jpg
    1449802640939.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 66
Would you say the one I have is a male from the rough images I gave?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll try try to get some better pics this weekend.
I havent asked the store yet if they'll reimburse this lost fish with another. Probably not, but I am doing a fair amount of business with them, so maybe. Im in Portland now, so I'll be stopping in before heading back to seattle.
Wish I could bring them Cupids and otos back with me.

Haha! I grew up in Portlandia, and I've run into a few.

Anyway, that was my only final decision making to go with the sp oregon.
Im now thinking more about the cactuoides and agassizi.
Is the nijsseni group happily housed, but disgruntled in a species only 20L?

I deserve an internet slap. For those of you considering putting a aquarium together for a friend or relative on the other side of a high traffic city, think again. Especially if they have 0% maintenance duty.
Now backhand slap me.
4 of the Corys have died, not for sure why they're going one by one... My observations of the tank are twice a week, maybe 1-2hrs. The apisto showed an 8/10 aggression towards the Corys while I was there.
When I move in June, I'm going to have to break the news to my niece the tank will be replaced with a nice 10gal shrimp tank. I just wont be able to monitor the tanks welfare much longer.
The Ember and Rummy tetras look great..haven't lost one! I'll be moving them into my new 40g in MY new residence when Im resituated. The apisto too....probably a new 20L for her(mean girl).

RCS are pretty easy in a established tank. I'll stay with the original course planned out, but with different apistos. Im also on the Wet Spots notification list when they get new Biotodoma cupido in.
20151101_000558.jpg

Once the tank is well established and planted, I agree. Shrimp are easy mode. Top offs and the occasional check on nitrates, done deal.

Back
Top Bottom