South or Central American build project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A quick pic update.
At least one MTS hitchhiked into the tank. Where there's one, there's probably a hundred.
The sword threw a big shoot out this week! It seems to be doing OK in its pot. I'm thinking of adding a few cookie cutter planter beds(kidney shaped 5inL 2 to 3"D with some type of boarder. I'll fill them with Amazonia substrate. The beds will be hidden by the rocks. At least 10lbs of the sand will be coming out.
The fish seemed to like this frozen brine shrimp medley.

Here's the auto feeder and flake food it's loaded with. Any other dry food I could mix in?
A few diatoms have made an appearance. A pwc is on tap for tomorrow.
Smaller basalt rocks need to be collected from the river(boiled and baked). They'll be under an inch in diameter to line the Sandy drainage basins.
Trust me, it makes sense in my head:confused:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445287835745.jpg
    1445287835745.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1445287873885.jpg
    1445287873885.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1445287917001.jpg
    1445287917001.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 1445287938783.jpg
    1445287938783.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 71
More pics

Attachments

• 1445289505356.jpg
    1445289505356.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 1445289578782.jpg
    1445289578782.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 1445289592546.jpg
    1445289592546.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1445289716919.jpg
    1445289716919.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 66
Emerald entrees... ime, no one eats most of it and it makes a huge mess..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did see a lot of spitting out and then begrudgingly eaten by the 4th fish.
I'll take it back. What are the other brands that create a frenzy?

Wouldn't that be a risk with more porous rock?
I did boil and bake the ones in the tank now. The kitchen needs to be cleaned, but it's still intact.

I did see a lot of spitting out and then begrudgingly eaten by the 4th fish.
I'll take it back. What are the other brands that create a frenzy?

Mine go crazy with frozen blood worms. And freeze dried tubifex! I drop in a few pieces of a cube and it's a feeding frenzy!

Baking them in extreme heat could be bad.

Thanks Teresa, I'll get a pic of this petcos frozen foods. Seems they'd be universally stocked, but I didn't see the brine/spirulina bookster mentioned. This emerald has way too many veggie components to it. Not a real hit.
I don't like seeing the "pinkies" in the petco freezer. I had rats growing up. They're the best rodent pet there is. Even better than the flying squirrel.

Thanks Teresa, I'll get a pic of this petcos frozen foods. Seems they'd be universally stocked, but I didn't see the brine/spirulina bookster mentioned. This emerald has way too many veggie components to it. Not a real hit.
I don't like seeing the "pinkies" in the petco freezer. I had rats growing up. They're the best rodent pet there is. Even better than the flying squirrel.

Petco supplies the best frozen foods on the readily available market. Anything san fran bay brand is just fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard lots of positive things about rats as pets. Wouldn't be able to have them here with my dogs though.

I have the frozen BBS but only use it in my grow out tank and the least killifish tank.

Petco supplies the best frozen foods on the readily available market. Anything san fran bay brand is just fine!
+1 on the San Fran foods

Cool guys!

hamsters and gerbils bite hard! I'd rather be pinched by a dungeness crab, which happened a few times this summer. They're tasty enough for that risk reward.
I'm not putting country gravy on a hamster or gerbil.

Wouldn't that be a risk with more porous rock?
I did boil and bake the ones in the tank now. The kitchen needs to be cleaned, but it's still intact.

I'm with Gillie.
I really wouldn't boil or bake rocks(I won't).
Bleach is chlorineprime the living daylights out of it.

Mine go crazy with frozen blood worms. And freeze dried tubifex! I drop in a few pieces of a cube and it's a feeding frenzy!

^^BIG +1^^
My fish go ballistic for freeze dried tubefix.
Blood worms keep them happy!

Cool, I'll do that. Thanks for trying to keep me safe. I got all caught up trying to make sense of TMRC's comment about "Irresponsible rednecks are careful"

Porous rocks would have water to their core and that would make a bad steam bomb if baked.

I'll just sterilize the rocks like the recharging method for purigen.

I work in the medical field, so I'm used to autoclav(heat) usage for sterilization of surgical instruments. 278f kills everything.
I don't want to be killed by rocks. That's no way to go out!

Autoclaves haha. I worked at a tattoo shop piercing for awhile. Our autoclave had a mechanical timer on it, and every time it would go off (ding!) I would run across the shop shouting "cookies are done!" Customers thought I was crazy..

+1 for not baking or boiling the rocks though. I put mine in the bathtub and soak in diluted bleach water and hit 'em with a scrub brush a few times

Jesse

You gotta have fun at work Jesse.
When you're walking back to the chair with your needles, you should show some hand trembles and mumble that you've had waaay too much coffee today.
Good stuff!
You have any boned fish tattoos haha?

Autoclaves haha. I worked at a tattoo shop piercing for awhile. Our autoclave had a mechanical timer on it, and every time it would go off (ding!) I would run across the shop shouting "cookies are done!" Customers thought I was crazy..

+1 for not baking or boiling the rocks though. I put mine in the bathtub and soak in diluted bleach water and hit 'em with a scrub brush a few times

Jesse
I actually find that quite amusing too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom