Sponge filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone use sponge filters in their tanks. I had bought a gaint one rated for 75g because it was a dollar more. It came in the mail today. I no longer have fry that would get suckled into a filter. So I put the sponge filter in my 55g. I have it attacked to whisper 40. Is there any reason to leave it In my 55g or should I just Lear it dry until I have fry again. Also will sponge filters mess with root tabs?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The only filter that messes with root tabs is a UGF so there's no worries there.

As for what to do with it, personally I would leave it in the tank running so when you have fry again you can just pull the sponge filter out and voila instantly cycled tank! :)

I keep a large foam filter running all the time
I am building a dyi canister and will use the foam filter on the intake hose as a prefilter
you can never have to much bio filtration , and you can always take out the cycled foam for a fry tank or hospital tank

I have a canister and a hob on my tank. My canisters intake doesn't come down low enough for me to attach the sponge filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom