Spots appearing on sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevin.getrhythm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having these spots appear on my sand, and I was wondering what they might be, I haven't tried to vacuum or anything to see if that would help. I figure that would only cover it up or spread it around. This is a white aquarium sand, not PFS. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 59
probably algae of some sort.. maybe diatoms? either way, its probably lighting related.. id say vac it up, stir it around, shouldnt have any problems... btw that stuff is really white, i like the look

It looks like algae. It could be diatom or maybe some type of red algae. Causes is newly set up tank, lights on to long, or overfeeding or any combination.

I'm guessing this is a new set up. It looks like diatom algae, this will go away once the tank matures :)

Agreed, diatom algae. It is common in newly set up tanks. It should go away as it matures. Let me ask you though, was this an established tank and you swapped substrates? If so, I would watch your parameters very closely over the next few weeks to make sure you don't go through a mini-cycle. A quick fix would be to just stir the sand around and cover it up.

It is a newly established tank, new everything. I will watch my levels and do a little vac.

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom