Start of a New Tank Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone :)

I'll try a couple of other places for the ammonia and then I'll start with the platies. I still have plenty of testing supplies left, so once I get the ammonia I will start testing every day again.

I went to the LFS Saturday and was chatting with the attendant about my 50-Gal. I told her I was trying to cycle my tank the fishless way. Well, her eyebrows disappeared up into her hairline, her eyes popped out of her head 8O, and she looked at me like I'm insane - (which, I guess in reality I am). She apparently never heard of it.

Anywho, she said she has a customer who uses urine to cycle his tank. Sounds crazy, but urine is sterile. I would imagine it has other trace elements that may cause damage, but I'm not up-to-date on the chemical composition of urine. If one has a kidney infection, nitrosomas should be present, but so should e.coli (if that's the offending bacteria) -- I think. Any chemists out there who can shed light on the possibility of urine being a cheap and safe, yet wierd, way of cycling tanks?

I have heard of it, but also that isn't not recommended.

(I'm not a chemist, but I play one when I test my aquarium water.)

Is there no-one near you on this forum who could post an old piece of filter media to you to help the tank cycle quicker. It could only take a couple of days if its a gooey enough bit.

NB

Good call NinjaBill. Where are you in NJ, Moxie? Perhaps someone or somehow a member can get you some established media. From NYC, eastern PA, NJ, any of those smalll states nearby, prioriety mail to NJ should be 1-2 days. Anyone in the NYC or Jersey region willing to help out Moxie? Flat rate prioriety is $3.85 (I think). One could put some tasty filter media in a few zip lock baggies, slip it in a flat rate envelop and help a fellow aquarist. If I were still on Long Island, I would hook you up.

hmmm... I dont know how long bacteria can live in a zip lock with out oxygen.

there must be a special way they package this bio-spira stuff because everything I have read says my bacteria dies 24 hours or so.

So whats the real truth?? Will the bacteria survive 48 hours in a zip lock??

I am in Morris County, New Jersey... if anyone is nearby, I'd be happy to meet you - somewhere halfway? That way no one has to worry about packaging or shipping or anything.

Oh, and I CANNOT find 100% pure ammonia. Drugstores, supermarkets, hardware stores... NOTHING. Argh.

Here is what I would do...

I started my 10 gallon with 3 feeder guppies ( I keep feeder guppies I like them).

I didn't really even monitor my water much until I decided to add more fish.

The tank cycled perfectly fine with no illness or anything.

If I was you...This is what I'd do. Feeder guppies may be plain and boaring but they are active and nice.

Its really up to you. I will be cycling my new 40gal with feeder guppies...Mine are very very hardy though...I eridacted all the disease...and bred them to be stronger.

Anyhow the best of luck to you!

I'm going to let the tank run for a few more days to make sure I got rid of the ich - had the temp up to 89, backed it down to 86. I'll keep testing (I picked up a couple of tests that look like they will give me more precise results) and hopefully we'll see something happening.

If you run your tank for a few days with no food source (ammonia) for the bacteria, your colony will die. If you can't find pure ammonia, and it dounds like you can't, I would think about PK Tester's feeder guppy idea. You've come this far, why not?

Hey, does anyone here know how long it actually takes for the bacteria to die? Moxie, I would be willing to send you a whole Emperor filter cartridge from my 55 gallon- my bacteria would hardly miss it, as there are 3 filter cartridges on that tank. I live in Indiana though, so it would take a couple of days. If that would work you could treat your tank for ich for another couple weeks and then get my fully cycled, gunked-up filter cartridge so you could add some permanent residents. 8)

Aww, Mama that's very kind of you to offer. :)

Do you think I should add fish even though I am still treating for ich? If platies can handle it, maybe I will start with them.

And I am still unsure if it was the water change that interrupted the cycle - does anyone use a python to refill their tanks and if so, when do you put in dechlorinator? Or is it common practice to fill a bucket, add dechlorinator and then re-fill from the bucket (sounds like a waste of the python then)?

Moxie - It doesn't matter. As long as it was done. I've done it both ways while my tank was cycling and never had a problem (I was a newbie...that's the reason for using two methods). Now...if we forget to do this, yes a problem would develop. I'm still stuck on the bio=spira theory (not that I want to be stubborn or anything).

You need something quickly to get some NH3 in your tank. At this point anything will do (other than detergent laden NH3 :wink: ). Fish food, guppies...whatever you decide.

I just got a Python and I add the dechlorinator to the whole tank before I use it to fill the tank up. I used to do the syphon/bucket thing before I decided to shell out the extra $$$. But the Python won't reach one of my tanks so I still have to use the bucket some. :evil:

If you are going to get some fish tomorrow and wait out the rest of this cycle why not get some gravel from your LFS? I know it's possible to introduce diseases that way, but the same goes for using feeder guppies. Just a thought. 8) Keep us posted.

I think you already have bacteria in the tank. Getting more bacteria might be helpful but not really needed. I would watch them temp and PH change with the new fish. check the aquarium shops PH and temp and compare the difference.

There's already bacteria in the tank, but it would speed things up to introduce more. That was my point. The bigger your colony, the more waste it can break down, right?
If you acclimate the fish properly you won't have to worry much about the pH and temp at the LFS.

Well if your going to ask for gravel then might as well go for the big one the filter squeezings!! and part of the media in the filter. ;)

So whats the real truth?? Will the bacteria survive 48 hours in a zip lock??
Well, you are not vacuum packing the bacteria, so some air woudl be present, or one could get those bags that allow air in, but don't let water escape.

I'm all for cycling without fish, but if you go s-l-o-w-l-y, all will be well. Start with the hardier platies and work your way up.

Back
Top Bottom