Start of a New Tank Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely, Mama - plan on keeping the diary going at least until I am sure the tank has cycled. Knock on wood, things are looking positive. I am much more confident that these fish are healthier than the first group.

I think the baby molly's become lunch for someone, but it's certainly sparked a curious interest in any future breedings. Not that I want to take it on as a sub-hobby, but just see which fish pair up and produce something that survives :)

EDITED FOR UPDATE: Baby molly (tentatively named "Skippy") has been sighted again! Cool!

WATER TEST UPDATE:

Same as yesterday...
ammonia @ .25
nitrites @ 0
nitrates @ >5, but less than 10

Fish are very active and respond to anyone coming close to the tank (including the cats). Haven't seen Skippy yet today. So far so good. :)

EDIT: Skippy looked like the calico mollies, but today I saw an all-black baby fishy. Do they change colors like that or is everyone pregnant in my tank? lol

There are definitely at least two baby mollies hiding in the orange "plant" - tried several times to get pictures, but my Olympus only takes pics at 1.3 megapixels (I know what *I'M* asking for when my birthday comes around :) ). Watched them for a while and they are quite good at keeping out of the way of larger fish swimming nearby... Guess we'll see just how good :)

And GEEZ these fish are PIGS! I've been trying to take extra care not to overfeed them, but they always seem on the lookout for snacks. And feeding time is like watching pirannahs, they all swarm to the surface when Sage drops the flakes in.

Moxie:

1. Get a least a 3.5 or higher :wink:
2. Are you saying that there are now three fry?
3. It's possible for you to have three pregnant mollies - Ask the LFS guy how old they are.
4. You won't be in danger of overfeeding them if you believe that fish will eat all the time, whether hungry or not. Just repeat to yourself...they are not hungry...they are not hungry...wait...did whiskers get enough...yes!

Jchillin said:
Moxie:

1. Get a least a 3.5 or higher :wink:
2. Are you saying that there are now three fry?
3. It's possible for you to have three pregnant mollies - Ask the LFS guy how old they are.
4. You won't be in danger of overfeeding them if you believe that fish will eat all the time, whether hungry or not. Just repeat to yourself...they are not hungry...they are not hungry...wait...did whiskers get enough...yes!

1. I know ;) Hoping to get 5 :D
2. Actually, yes, there are now THREE that I can see - 2 calicos and one black... The babies have the perfect little hiding spot and they stay together, so I think they have a good shot at survival.
3. I'll give him a call tomorrow, try and find out how old they are. I'll also research more info about molly procreation habits.
4. How do you know when they've had plenty then???

This is always an interesting question (my wife usually asks also). The "consume in 2/3 minutes" rule obviously doesn't take into account that some fish will eat more aggressively than others. You will have to monitor this. Let's invent another rule: "Some is better than none". As long as they "got some" they're fine. If you see that one or more is a passive eater and not getting any, you can get a feeder cup and place it/move it to them. Don't let the others get at it. :D

If you see that one or more is a passive eater and not getting any, you can get a feeder cup and place it/move it to them. Don't let the others get at it.
Can you explain this? I have one very timid feeding "platy." I am beginning to think that it really is a juvenile swordtail because it is more tubular in shape, skinnier, and doesnt pal around with the platies. Might just be my imagination that a stub of a swordtail is forming? Anywat, I noticed it not feeding, thought it was a gonner, then saw it try to feed again. I have to add about 50% more food in order for some to drift to a spot that is not part of the feeding frenzy so it gets some. It refuses to feed midwater, will only pick a surface flakes. I was a very sparse feeder (unlike my avatar :D ), now I would estimate I am a slight overfeeder, but I don't do it as often. So what is a feeder cup, and how can you get a timid fish to use it?

Okay, learned how to sex the fish - all three mollies are female and the swordtails are one male and one female.

Only the strong shall survive! 8O

So, it's not a cup, but a clip
Thanks for the link (my computer was able to digest it). I would try it but figure my greedy danios and platies would just go nuts on it leaving nothing behind for the timid guy. Well, get tough or starve I guess.

As far as the feeding frenzy fish and the ones that dont I think it has some todo with how they were raised. Maybe some todo with the personality of the fish. I had a platy I raised for about 2 years or so and he seems to shy away from eating while the others were in a frenzy. Of course the others were tiger barbs ;) but he did chase the tiger barbs like he was in love with them. anyhow if you have a fish that wants to feed but cant maybe try feeind small portions in several spots of the tank. this way the frenzy wont be so much in a group and maybe?? the less aggressive fish might get a chance at a few pieces.

I've got the same problem, I spread my flaks out when I feed, but all my guppys EAT ALL if not most of the flakes I put in. My tetras never get any, and even if the flakes goto the mid-water line they still come down and fight the neons for some :S. Shall i just leave them and see how it goes? I dont think the neons eat much but i'll try feeding them all through the day! :)

How about trying this? Spread flakes sufficient for the aggressive guys in a compact area. Then, using great subterfuge and guile, place another portion in the passive fish's area and make it sink toward them. Make sure to keep the other guys busy - some are natural hunters and will sense free falling food and go after it. I had two balas and they never went to top...waited around mid-level and then the hunt was on. Meanwhile, the tetras found out and went after it too! I used the clip and the above for them and it worked.

UPDATE: the 3 molly babies are still alive - I have a bad picture in my gallery of two of them. They are quick little things! The black one is quite adventurous and has ventured into open water a couple of times. Seems to know exactly which hiding place is closest when the bigger fish come near.

Tested the water:
Ammonia @ <.1 ppm
Nitrites @ 0
Nitrates @ >5 ppm

I have to say I have a good feeling about this group - they are very active, responsive to us coming near the glass, will play with my cat, and are very social together. Each breed will typically hang out more with each other, but I've seen all seven of them grouped together. I saw the goldfish give the gourami a couple of "pecks" - like it was checking to see if there was food stuck on her - and the gourami's totally zen. The swordtails are already trying to make babies... I know nothing of mating rituals of livebearers, but it was obvious even to me 8O .

Can't wait until the tank's fully matured so I can add a couple more to the group :)

Wow, your lucky, before I even knew about this site, I got the hardest to breed fish hehe. So looks like i'll have to wait until I can get some livebarers in my tank.

My tank is about 15 gallens, do you think its a good idea to get a couple of mollies? maybe 1 male and 2 females.Or will my tank be a bit full up?

the guppys should be easy to breed just get two females and they will go to town
that may not be advised though due to the fear of tons of guppy babies over stocking your 15 gallon
imo

Back
Top Bottom