starting 29 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angiras

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thankfully, I stumbled across this message board and have been doing a small amount of reading. I currently have a 58g reef tank (soon to be upgraded to a 180g). I have kept non-planted freshwater tanks in the past and want to delve into setting up a 29 gal planted tank.

At this point - I am looking for a low-cost setup. I have the tank and stand (tank is 36wx12dx16h). I have the standard one-bulb flourescent hoods that come standard with any tank as well as a 2x96w compact flourescent fixture that I started my saltwater tank with.

I am looking toward easy-to-keep plants. For filtration, I am leaning toward an aquaclear filter as well as a sponge filter.

Should I try to use the compact fixture (it has separate switches for each bulb, so I could only use one if needed) or just stay with the standard single flourescent to avoid having to inject CO2. I am quite clueless when it comes to CO2 and would like to keep the setup low-tech. HELP!

-Ben

Mr Burns - I looked over Rex's page (lots of great info).

Based on my lack of desire to mess with CO2, am I correct in assuming that you suggest sticking with the low-output flourescent and go with the plants you've mentioned? If so - sounds great to me as I love the plants you mention.

I've also looked at low-light packages from azgardens.com. They list the following species and I'd like to know if there are any included that I should steer clear of.

2 Anacharis
4 Rotala indica
3 Blood Stargrass
6 Japanese Fans
3 Dwarf Lily Plants
15 Dwarf Onions
2 Asian Ambulia
15 Tall Sagittaria subulata
2 medium red-spot Ozelot swords
15 Crypt Walkeri
4 Java Ferns

- Ben

Welcome to AA!

Most of your list looks ok... how many watts is that single bulb? You don't want to be so low light/tech that you can grow anything, you know?

Dont be afraid of co2! It seems like you've mastered SW, co2 is a breeze! well, DIY co2. and so cheap its worth a shot. (ok... got that out of my system)

so at this point its the one 20 watt bulb over 29 gallons.... less that 1 wpg. Truly IME, thats not enough light and will limit your choices. If you really want to be low light, low tech, no co2, I think you need over 1 wpg. That's just my opinion. Maybe we'll have mojo or bewotess jump in here for some other opinions.

medge - i agree but I really cant figure out how to increase my light without throwing a bunch of money into this. I dont mind having limited options for plants - but I am guessing that less than 1 wpg will leave maybe choices of java moss or java fern.

-Ben

another thought is to use a 96w power compact. This would be roughly 3.2 wpg - but I think with that much light over it, Id have to definitely supplement co2.

Any thoughts?

Agreed, you'd have to supplement co2, but again, co2 is cheap and easy with a diy set up. I have some great val, crypts, and anubias on my 30 gal. I have the same 3.2 wpg. with 3.2 wpg, there may be some options workign around co2. Let me stew on it for a bit.

What is your water like? kh? ph? And what were you planning for substrate?

medge - havent started testing water yet. As for substrate - I started looking around earlier today locally. None of the stuff in the lfs here is labeled for millimeter size - that is still up in the air as well. If it wasnt for being black - I would just go with the Eco-complete. <shrug>

I'd use one 96w pc,
Schultz Aquatic plant soil, or regular gravel with 1 box of Laterite mixed in,
Diy Co2 (it is really super simple and costs next to nothing).

BTW, that package from AZ gardens is a fine selection of plants, but WAY too many for a 29. If I added right, thats 71 plants! for a 29, you need more like 10-12 plants, since most will reproduce themsevles quickly.

corvus - thanks for the input. I will definitely check into the schultz. I didnt even think about the number of plants in that package (i dont know why. lol). And as to the 96w pc - I am guessing that I need to find a 6700k bulb. I know a lot of people on here seem to be using the 55w GE 9325k - but as far as I could tell, that bulb isnt available in a higher wattage.

I need to figure out if my 96w fixture can run a 55w - my gut tells me no, but a friend says he thinks it can.

-Ben

No one has mentioned AH Supply Bright Lights.http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm Thats what alot of us on this forum use with great success with the 6700K lamps. They are the best value out there, bar none. Build your own enclosure. A 55 watt AH would work great with a 29 gallon for a low medium light tank giving you around 2.5 watts per gallon. Thats because they are 60% brighter than the big names like Coralife. Its all in the reflector design. I would check it out or at least call Kim at AH Supply for an opinion. He knows his stuff.

Another option on substrate is Seachem's Flourite. Works great and is cheaper than Eco complete. But wash the heck out of it. Medge is right on DIY CO2. Just a 2 liter 7 UP bottle, sugar yeast, baking soda, airline and a small Hagen ladder for 5 bucks and your good to go, till you decide you want to go pressurized CO2. There are lots of posts on DIY CO2 on this forum.
One last thought. If you can afford it you might consider a canister filter as it is so much easier to keep the tank really clean with one such as the Rena XP2 (my fav.) or a 350 Magnum. Just a thought. HTH Bob :)

betowess,

so you think i could get away with 1 55watt as opposed to 2x36 watts?

-Ben

I have one AH 55 watt on my 26 bow which is a bit taller than a 29 gallon, but not as wide at 24 inches compared to 30 inches on a typical 29 gallon. It works great and my Alternanthera reineckii flourishes which requires bright light to get nice and red and stay healthy.

But with 2x36 of AH Supply watts (which are 60% brighter than most) you would have plenty of juice for high light plants, but I'm not sure if your tank can support that wide of a light... unless you don't mind having to take the light enclosure off the glass cover top in order to open the front for feeding and water testing etc. You could always feed through the open area in the back by the spray bars (and get test water there as well I suppose). :idea: Another advantage of a 2x36 would be the ability to buy a little extra reflector material from Kim and stagger the lights so you get coverage all the way across the whole 30 inches of the tank. I have heard of this being done and the reflector will cut easy enuf with tin snips. Perhaps 2x36 is the way I would go with a stagger setup.

Either one should work well. Some folks are starting to steer away from so much light ( a little slower growth and fewer algae problems)... This is something Kim of AH Supply told me was a common thread of conversation at the Aquatic Gardeners Assoc. convention. I know I've had alot fewer problems with my tank once I backed off the wattage of light. Those AH lights are retina burners for sure. HTH

betowess, thanks for the reply - this is a 30long - so its 36x12x16. I may do the AH lights down the road (once im not so cash strapped).

I have a 29g with a 65w compact and a hagen natural co2 and in the two months ive had it up my plants have gone crazy with minimal alage problems. I def think that if you are planning on over 3wpg you should have some sort of co2 and make sure you dose with ferts...they help keep alage at bay. I feed my plants twice a week with flourish.
As for selection I have an anubis, watersprite, contortion vals and broadleaf ludgia. I know the ludgia needs high light to show its reds but mine is doing surprisingly well with the reds showing mostly at the top of the plants. Your plant list seems rather large for a 29g. remember they will grow alot and if they are too crowded they wont be able to get enought light.

Back
Top Bottom