Starting a 110 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys im thinking about putting up a 110 gallon tank. Im going to put african cichlids in it. Im just wondering what I should get for a filter? Cheapiest and most efficient for the money.

I'm running two fluval 405s on my 100 gallon new world cichlid tank and doing great . So I would recommend the two big canisters !

Canisters might be more expensive but they are absolutely the best filtration option on a big tank like that (unless you want to have a sump, which is probably pricier)
Maybe the better question is, do you want to go cheaper and then have your water look crappy? In the long run, canisters are worth it even if you have to save for longer to start up.

Yes they are expensive but they have done a great job for me . My 72 is run one 406 and my 100 has a pair of 405s

I have a 125 and I have the 306, a aquaclear 70 hob, and sump. It does the job well water is always clear. A 110 aquaclear hob and nice size canister would probably do good

Well I know nothing really about canister filters. Do you have to change filters or anything like that in them?

Just rinse them out and clean them they are easy to use. And once setup less work then your normal hob filters expect for the aquaclear filters

Okay simple enough. Say I get a canister filter used how many gph should it be able to do for a 110 gallong tank? Like 250?

If I were you I would get a fuvel 406 and and aquaclear hob 110 put the Intake on one side and the exit on the other with the hob filter in the middle

Personally I would run two filters to give a minimum turnover of 3 times an hour. Worth remembering that canister contents (foam/ceramic tubes and polishing floss all reduce the promised manufactures flow rate. Two filters give you good cycled cover when the other has had maintenance when bacteria levels have been reduced a little due to cleaning. I replace the final polishing filter as it blocks the easiest but the rest is simply rinsed in a bucket of tank water (not tap). Apart from the sludge removed from the bottom of the canister I can band on heart say my filter is reassembled pretty 'dirty'. Been doing this for over 30 years ( even when I didn't understand about cycling) and never had an ammonia/nitrite spike.
Hope that helps a bit. But remember - buy cheap - buy twice!

I run a fluval 306 and an aquaclear 50 on my 55 gallon and I still feel like its not enough filtration. But ive had the aquaclear for a long time. When it finally gives out ill probably buy a 406 because I dont want any surface agitation from a hob filter with my planted tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run a fluval 306 and an aquaclear 50 on my 55 gallon and I still feel like its not enough filtration. But ive had the aquaclear for a long time. When it finally gives out ill probably buy a 406 because I dont want any surface agitation from a hob filter with my planted tank.

I had the same problem on my 125 but I had a left over aqueon filter and used the blue thing from there and it stopped 99 percent of the water agitation

I had the same problem on my 125 but I had a left over aqueon filter and used the blue thing from there and it stopped 99 percent of the water agitation

I just keep the water level high with regular top offs to minimize surface agitation.

It may but if your going with cichlids they are messy eaters and you normally want to slightly over stock your tank. So you want to over filter your tank. I personally would go with the two filters. I know it's a lot of money but its better then having to do more work to keep your tanks water levels under control. Or if you don't keep on top of your water changes or checking the levels in your tank having your fish suffer or die.

Back
Top Bottom