Starting a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently found a spare 20 gallon long tank in my attic, and i was thinking of turning it into an fish and planted aqaurium. What fish would do well in this setting?

Depends on what you are looking for. You could have tetras, maybe about 12 neons with a contrasting centre piece like a dwarf cichlid pair like keyholes or kribs and about 6 ottos or kuhli loach ( however they hide a lot. What filter are you planning on and you did say you were new , do you know about cycling your tank

Good suggestions on fish from TB.

If you want to grow live plants the biggest factor will be lighting. What kind of light so you have for the tank?

im new to the forum, but i kno alot about cycling tanks and things like that, i thinking cichlids but i was afraid my tank might be to small.. i just want something nice looking with colorful fish, plants and driftwood, mayb sand substrate. For filter i was planning on using mechanical

20 gal is only ok for keyhole cichlids and possibly rams but I wouldn't recommend any others. That size tank is fine for these mixed with a school of tetras and some clean up crew, either catfish or crustaceans. I recommend these fish and tend to steer clear of live bearers. I have kept them before and tend to find the breed like crazy and die like crazy. By the way I'd go for mechanical without fail. With that size tank you can have an HOB. With regard to substrate, if you do go for kuhli loaches like I said in my fist post and you get sand prepare never to see them again as mine seemed to tunnel in it all the time in my previous tank ( also a 20 gal)

20 gal is only ok for keyhole cichlids and possibly rams but I wouldn't recommend any others. That size tank is fine for these mixed with a school of tetras and some clean up crew, either catfish or crustaceans. I recommend these fish and tend to steer clear of live bearers. I have kept them before and tend to find the breed like crazy and die like crazy. By the way I'd go for mechanical without fail. With that size tank you can have an HOB. With regard to substrate, if you do go for kuhli loaches like I said in my fist post and you get sand prepare never to see them again as mine seemed to tunnel in it all the time in my previous tank ( also a 20 gal)

Whats a HOB? and can you guys recomend good plants and lighting?
and also ive been reading about CO2 tanks for plants.. do u need them for the kind of setup i want?

What kind of plants do you want to grow?

Check out PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource . There is a great plant guide on there with pictures. Pick out some plants you are interested in, and we can offer up some advice on what it would take to grow them.

CO2 injection is not a requirement on low and medium light tanks. When you move into the realm of high light, it becomes necessary in order to keep plants healthy and keep algae from taking over the tank. There are many many options out there for low light plants that can be grown with lights that are not super expensive. It just all depends on what you want to do, and how involved you want it to get.

HOB

HOB means "Hanging on back"' in other words are the filters that you hang in the frame of the tank, they hang in the back...

Lol

Good advice on the fish. I'd recommend a medium group of schooling fish, 5 of some smaller cory's, a few nerite snails, and something as a centerpiece fish.. (not sure on what to recommend here)

My question, how old is the tank and how long has it been in the attic? If any length of time for either, please water test it for a few days outside if possible.. The weather extremes in the attic may have caused the silicone seals to dry and/or crack..

Back
Top Bottom