Starting Up A Nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok awesome. Will test the water again when we add more LR and see where we are. It was perfect when we measured with one rock and our two babies, the chromi couple. Would it be easier to introduce mushrooms and polyps before corals?

I would put in the hardier corals first like mushrooms and zooa's. See how they adapt. :) Then get into the more expensive ones...but thats just me lol

Sounds great. Anything to save moolah. It's amazing how much it all adds up. And we just found an amazing store just over the border! Hope to find great deals:)

Looks really good! Love the moonlights.

Make sure to look for some brightly colored ricordeas, the orange ones always stand out nicely. What kind of lighting do you have anyways?? I didn't see it, maybe I missed it.

Good morning AA...some tank updates:)

While my bf is slaving away on his day shift I am enjoying my morning alone with the fish before my afternoon at work.

After visiting the gym we made our way to Petsmart yesterday to pick up a couple supplies. We came home with a tank magnet (it's amazing what laziness and no magnet does...our tank is crystal clear now:)), 2 books and a net to catch the chromis when it is time, (I know...should start now since it is going to be super difficult and may never actually happen!). So after a night on the couch with each of our noses in a book and me with a pad of paper we decided what the goal of our tank would be...

- zoanthids (we really like the bulls eye zoa), mushrooms and ricordeas
- a trio of sexy shrimp, (Harlequin shrimp are beautiful but we aren't fond of losing our baby starfish
- a goby, have still to pick which one
- and last but not least our crabs:)

Looking forward to making a beautiful reef tank. Have contacted some local people who have great deals on zoa's, etc so waiting to hear back. If not, a road trip this weekend sounds enticing to 'Tropicorium' in Michigan...right over the border for us!

If anyone has any input please don't hesitate!

S and B

Ps. Thanks Kelsey for the comments! The LED moonlights are all my bf's doing so if I pretended I knew I'd be lying! He's the electrician here! ...I will be sure to ask though:)

Attachments

• image-2569109477.jpg
    image-2569109477.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 198
  • image-2080922165.jpg
    image-2080922165.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 193
  • image-70518316.jpg
    image-70518316.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 204
  • image-1754018397.jpg
    image-1754018397.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 197
be careful bringing any livestock over from the states. You usually need an import licence as there are a lot of restricted species. You could end up on the wrong side of a heavy fine if you are caught.

If you are running over to michigan you might be better off taking a drive up to T.O. as there should be some good stores there.

Ok thanks. A friend of mine has mentionned that as well...but my bf's friend does it all the time. I'm banking on the local guy...much cheaper!

What kind of crabs are you guys planning on getting?? The porcelain crabs are very nice, or pom-pom crabs are neat too.

You should look into getting the greenbanded goby, they are really nice looking, the picture of them on liveaquaria doesn't do them justice so google them. I was considering them for my tank but I think I want to do a pair or the ones that get a max of one inch (greenbanded is 2inch max). The griessingeri goby is beautiful too Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Griessingei Goby

Just googled the green banded goby and showed my bf right away! We love it. Now just to actually find one at a LFS. The pom pom crab is neat as well. We are thinking sexy shrimp but the crab is a good idea as well. Like I said, whatever we can find at a store!

Okay! So we got more live rock:)

So excited about the new look! The chromis live hiding and the crabs are pumped about more climbing opportunities.

Discussions are about what we are putting in the tank after we catch the chromis. It is going to be one difficult task...all I keep hearing is 'I told you so'...too funny!

We plan to test the water again in a couple of days and then go from there:)

Oh oops! Here are the pictures:)

S and B

Attachments

• image-1212228701.jpg
    image-1212228701.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 183
  • image-50897315.jpg
    image-50897315.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 183
  • image-2940138558.jpg
    image-2940138558.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 181
Thanks Kelsey!

I think the area of rock to the right of the tank would be great for a goby/shrimp to hide. We still love the idea of the green banded one...going to keep our eyes peeled! And it was my bf's idea to make somewhat ledges for the frags we will potentially have! So excited to get some colour in there:)

I've been following, but I forget, how big is this? If at least 10-16 gallons,I'd suggest a fire goby

Thanks Carey! Me too. We are figuring out what we are going to do with the chromis. It is going to be so hard to catch them with the rock in there now. We should have held off but a friend of my bf's said that was the best thing to do. Blagh.

And MABJ, we only have a 6g. Going to get a goby and possibly a pom pom crab and sexy shrimp but not 100% sure yet. Suggestions? Would a purple fire goby be ok in a 6g?

I suspect you're pushing it there.. Is the purple goby smaller than a fire goby?

Nope. I think they are the same but a different colour. Someone said a watchman yellow or a green banded. I need to look up tank requirements for them.

I'd stick to something maybe an inch or so tops at adulthood. There are some great nano fish on liveaquaria, they have their own section. :-D

I'd stick to something maybe an inch or so tops at adulthood. There are some great nano fish on liveaquaria, they have their own section. :-D

Yah and you can change the tank requirements to minimum 10 gallon so it narrows down the small fish even more. I think the 2 inch max would be okay if its like the greenbanded and a very narrow fish, but then I'd only do one probably. If you just looked at the one inch you could probably do a pair. You could look into getting just the one fish but then adding a pistol shrimp too, they are bound to find each other in a tank that size haha. Sorry there is just so many ideas;) haha

Back
Top Bottom