Starting up a new 10 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjaprea27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys! Hope all is well! I just became a member of this website and I'm already excited :dance:

I have had quite a few fish tanks in the past, and last summer I decided to experiment with a planted, iwagumi style tank. Unfortunately, although I had kept up on high lighting, CO2, fertilizer, etc., the system eventually crumbled, with algae taking over every plant and wall. My fish were completely fine in this 10 gallon tank, but hid a lot and only came out for food. The huge algae bloom came after about a year, hitting it's peak this summer. I tried everything I could, and eventually just decided to completely start over yesterday.

I unfortunately did not have time to cycle the new tank, but the water in my town comes from a local freshwater dam, and has been rated to be some of the cleanest water in the country. I also added some of the bacteria starter directly to the bio wheel and of course some water conditioner (precisely measured). I also decided to replace the gravel and get silk plants and a ceramic ornament instead of the live plants and Japanese porous rocks.

I have researched and it's been said that the amount of fish I have in my tank is way over the limit. I have rescued a few that would have died in the pet store, and have also rescued a catfish from my friend that was keeping her's in a small cup (the rest of her tank died - she was a terrible fish keeper). Although they say such an overstocked tank is extremely unhealthy for the fish, they seem to have been so very happy, even in the old tank. However in the new tank, they seem much better - they are swimming around like crazy, exploring the nooks and crannies of the new tree ornament, and don't show any signs of stress whatsoever. I will keep monitoring the tank until I leave. I just did not want my mom to be responsible for caring for the live plants (fertilizing, co2, trimming, etc.). Any thoughts on the new set up? I'm also a bit concerned about the Oto's - will putting in some algae pellets / fresh cucumber be good enough, along with the catfish pellets / fish food? My mom will be changing / vacuuming gravel every 1.5 weeks.

Thanks for all of your help!!
:thanks:

Aquarium specs:
*10 gallon Marineland Tank Kit*
-Penguin 100 Bio Wheel filter
-22 white/ 2 blue LED hood
-4 small silk plants, 1 tree ornament for catfish to hide inside (Otocincli enjoy burrowing all in tree and in canopy near filter output)
-Small, light-colored gravel from Petsmart
-Temperature: always 70-80 deg. F

*Fish in 10 gallon*
-2 male guppies
-4 cory catfish
-3 otocincli

Attachments

• IMG_6552.jpg
    IMG_6552.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6549.jpg
    IMG_6549.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 66
It looks great! Feeding the otos what you mentioned should be fine.

Looks awesome! Maybe a couple hiding places for the corys?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom