Starting with plants a good idea for beginners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelThoughts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I'm a newbie around here and to the entire fish hobby. I have been doing so much research on cycling etc. so I don't have any fish casualties. My question is, being a novice do you think live plants or plastic is better to begin with? Thanks for your help :!:

As a first shot, plastic are probably better. If you really want some live plants, anacharis will do great no matter what you do to it. Just make sure you rinse it and get all of the snails off.

I was unclear on whether you know about your cycle, or have actually finished a cycle. Adding live plants before your cycle is done can prolong it because the plants absorb some of what the bacteria needs to grow.

Thank you!

Great I will wait until I have cycled the tank. I am still researching everything so that I have a good idea of what to do and what not to do first before I start. So far I have just the tank and hood and nothing else yet. Someone I know has that river rock and live plants grow in it however I have read not to use that as the plants need more iron.
Now I know not to buy it right away! thanks so much :)

I think it's best to start with plants. Using a lot of fast growing stem plants in an aquarium will give you what is called a "silent cycle". And by using this method you can fully stock the tank within two weeks and never see any trace of ammonia or nitrite. Of course you have to provide the proper conditions for the plants to thrive.

Stem length doesn't matter. You want stem plants. The stuff the LFS sells in bunches. I have posted a list of plants in another thread. Do a search and you will find it.

Back
Top Bottom