Sterilization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 55g tank pretty cheap off of a fellow. The tank is pretty dirty, but my biggest concern is with the filter. The filter has a lot of algae/black lichen (i guess) in it. I need to get new filer cartridges as it doesnt have any, but the sponge thing (forgive me, I'm still a newb) has some remnants of it as well.

Should I soak the filter and sponge (Whisper 30-60) in bleach water?

I don't want anything growing in my tank other than fish.

Mmm... bleach MAY eat away the sponge...

Bleach is okay to clean with as water conditioners/chloramine removers aid in eliminating it when the tank is ready, but on tanks that are stained with hard water I find vinegar helps to clean the glass...

Id use HOT HOT tap water( get a thick non absorbant glove as to not burn yourself and a hard hard toothbrush) Dont use the brush on the sponge,possibly boil out the sponge. Just scrub the crud off in hot hot water and use the bleache to sterilize it.

id use hot hot tap water( get a thick non absorbant glove as to not burn yourself and a hard hard toothbrush) dont use the brush on the sponge,possibly boil out the sponge. Just scrub the crud off in hot hot water and use the bleache to sterilize it.

+1

I would bleach the filter, but buy a new sponge. The sponge will just disintegrate if you try to boil/bleach it. And the sponges are cheap & meant to be disposable.

The sponge isn't your traditional type of sponge. It is plastic, looks like a sponge, but I believe it is meant to hold bacteria. Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

I did bleach it (and the whole filter) with a bleach/water solution and boiled (poured it over the filter). Then rinsed well with cold water. It is still around and works.

Here are some pics of the tank as prepared:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Get a pic of this sponge please.

You can bleache the sponge then but do the boiling water the way you are, I think the intense heat will mess that "sponge" up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom