Stock level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

From my sig., do you think my tank is over-filled, under-filled, or just right?

1 Royal Pleco is more than a 55 can handle alone. These guys get huge 13+ inches and a massive body to boot. They also require soft drift wood to munch on and thus creates massive amounts of "saw dust".

But I assume he is small right now. they are slow growers, from what I've read. So your prob not in need of immediate action.

I recently got a 9 inch one, and by the size of him I'd say a 90 gal is minimum.

You might wanna also get rid of a few of the frogs.

Other than that your doing good.

Once the Royal get to be 6-7" I will be trading him in for two butterfly plecos, so ignoring that one fish, how about then?

looks good, and don't worry about the frogs, they don't take up any space, they just hang around their fav hiding spot.

Search for "African Dwarf Frog" they and my cories are the most interesting fish in my tank!

Ok, so back to my question, over / under / or just right? Remember, the tank is well filtered and UVed. Remember, the Royal will be replaced at 6-7" with a smaller growing pleco.

i wouldn't add too much unless you have lots of filteration. I personally have 3 filters on my 50 gallon and i still would have liked more (even with a UV)

SerLunchbox said:
i wouldn't add too much unless you have lots of filteration. I personally have 3 filters on my 50 gallon and i still would have liked more (even with a UV)

What about 6 oto catfish? If necessary, I could trade in the pleco early.

Well, since I have not heard anything to the contrary, I am going to go for the otos. I don't have a huge amount of algea in my tank, will they supplement their diet with other foods (see signature for what I feed)

Otos definitely need to be fed, but I have heard of them being too shy to eat in the presence of busy active feeders like the cory cats, so you will have to watch them carefully.

I would consider additional filtration, but keep in mind that I really tend to overfilter, so take it with a grain of salt. I think a Fluval 404 might be better, or add an AquaClear HOB or a Penguin/Emperor for some additional filtration. The UV does not impact dissolved organic compounds, NO3, or improve oxygenation, which are the result of overstocking or inadequate filtration, though no doubt the UV is helping with any waterborne algae or parasitic issues.

Forget it, I decided my tank is just right as it is. Personally I think its a tad onderstocked currently, but all my fish are young so they will get a little bigger. Plus, it looks great now, so why push it? I just wish my Royal did a better job with the algea. Oh well, I ordered those floating mag cleaners, so that should fix it right up. There is nothing technology can't fix!

Royals are magnificent - it'll probably outgrow the 55 at some point. They hide so much I am not surprised it is not doing a job on algae. Do you have bogwood for it? I saw one at the LFS not too long ago with really vivid orange eyes and he was the coolest!

Back
Top Bottom