Stocking 20 gal.. need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there.

I've been cycling my 20 gal with a pair of female bettas. The tank has been ready for fish for the past few days.

so today, I bought 8 neon tetras and 2 Praecox Rainbows (at least I think they are Praecox Rainbow, they are still white with small bits of red lining the fins, babies still).

My female bettas are still in the tank.

My question is, should I remove the bettas, or will they get along well with the fish I just bought? Should I give them a trial run, and see how well they'll get along?

if i am not mistaken....
since you cycled with fish, and added that many fish at once wont it over do the bio load and cause sorta a mini cycle?
besides that....
i think female bettas are fine with those fish you mentioned. i have only heard of female bettas fighting each other.

I'll just have to do more frequent water changes. I am prepared for that. The guy at the LFS (with 20+ years experience and owning a fish store) told me it'll be alright. he tested my water, and he told me to just keep an eye on the water, test it tonight, and in the morning, and tomorrow night for the next 48 hours, and it should be fine

alright.
im a noob, but still trying to look out for other people too! good luck!

I appreciate it Manda. I am sorta a newb at this too, and I'd appreciate any and all comments and helpful tips.

Im uploading pics of the fish (as I am acclimating them). one can see how curious one of my bettas is, so Im keeping an eye on her to be safe. Im hoping its just curiousity and nothing more.

EDIT:

Here are some pics. Can someone identify the rainbows, are they what I bought? I seriously dont remember what the LFS owner said they were called, blue rainbows maybe? he said they grown to max of 4" and peaceful.

img_597250_0_f6da8b344b753d307809affedb6f82b4.jpg

You can see how curious one of my CT bettas was in these two..
img_597250_1_85af17127b879d96d0c12a31b9f4a88b.jpg

img_597250_2_f2788f89100c0cf8e2d2d8f6077cc9d2.jpg

and this is my other betta in the tank, she's a HM betta
img_597250_3_67e2da3b4b6787e58b6ab33a197a1c67.jpg

thank you :) my CT is nearing 1.5 years, and the HM is about 8 or 9 months now.

Those would be Melanotaenia praecox commonly called "Blue Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish" and other similar names.

Back
Top Bottom