stocking 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calqless

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was told the best way to stock a cichlid tank was to buy alot and kinda cram them in. They suggested 20-25. It would only be lake M cichlids and a trio of plecos. Was i told bull squeeze or what?

I don't know about adding that many, because I don't know their bio load, and max size, but I know part of hat is true.

It is better to add them at the same time. If you had some in your tank and then added just one, it would get singled out and picked on, because it doesn't have an established territory. You also want a lot of drift wood and hiding places, plants, rocks or anything to keep them from seeing each other all the time.

I hope this helps, and I hope someone else that knows more about them will comment.

The plecos are the smaller ones 4-5 inch full grown.

yeah its best to add them all at once rather then buy a few and add some over time as the ones that fiorst gets introduced to the tank will have its own terratory already. the amount depends on the size of the cichlids and how big they will get once fully grown

Yes ideally you want to add them all together if possible. You could do it in smaller groups but it would mean taking the established fish out and rearranging the tank before adding the old and new groups back in at the same time, and this is not guaranteed to fool them. A bristlenose will actually get to about 6 inches full grown not 4-5.

my main concern was with the number of fish, 20+ sounds like a lot to me.

Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlid (Metriaclima callainos)

Electric Yellow Cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus)

Red Zebra Cichlid (Metriaclima estherae)

Fuelleborni Cichlid, Orange Blossom (Labeotropheus fuelleborni)

with 5-6 of each is what i was thinkin, tho i could be wrong.

probably am

:facepalm:

Over crowding them is ok if you have plenty of filtration. I run 2 canisters on a 55 and have 27 fish (all mbunas)in that one. Make sure to have lots hiding places and rock. Do not need drift wood in the tank as it will lower the ph in the tank. If you add the fish all at once you run the risk of of having spikes in ammonia and nitrites. If you don't have fish in it yet then I would do a fishless cycle to build the bacteria up before adding anything, or put in some cheap fish for a while

Ivr had 4 carsinal tetras and 3 bn plecos in the tank for a month now. Which is as long as the tank has been up

Back
Top Bottom