Stocking a 150 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking at a 150 gal tank from craigslist and will probably buy it
Will this stock work in the tank?
Stocklist
Centerpiece-
2- German Blue Ram
2- German Gold Ram
2- Electric Blue Ram
1-Angelfish
Livebearer-
20- Guppy, 1:2
1- Gold Dust Molly
1- Creamsicle Lyretail Molly
1- Platinum Lyretail Molly
1- Hi Fin Blood Red Swordtail
Schooling-
6- Cardinal Tetra
10- Penguin Tetra
6- Von Rio Flame Tetra
10- Cherry Barb
6- Zebra Danio
6- Long Fin Red Minor Tetra
6- Silvertip Tetra
6- Harlequin Rasbora
10- Tiger Barb(I don’t have my heart set on them I just wanted to see if they could be incorporated)
Anabatoids-
1-Dwarf Gourami
1-Male Betta
Bottom Dweller-
10- Peppered Cory
10- Khuli Loach
10- Otocinlus
1- Longfin Regular Bristlenose Pleco
1-Longfin Albino Bristlnose Pleco
2-Siamese Algae Eater
1-Peacock Eel(This is all your fault Nu-Nu and Gboy! J)
Invertebrates-
3-Zebra Nerite Snail
I’ve been known to impulse buy(A molly, 9 guppies, and 3 peppered cories in a 10 gal, anyone?) so I left a little room. Am I overstocked? Is there anything I should remove?

The only concern I can see with that is, will all the different species be okay in one set water type? Are they all okay with the same PH? Temp? If so, you should be fine. I don't know a lot about the space requirements of livebearers or tetras.

Chiroptera said:
The only concern I can see with that is, will all the different species be okay in one set water type? Are they all okay with the same PH? Temp? If so, you should be fine. I don't know a lot about the space requirements of livebearers or tetras.

I have a 6.8 pH so since a lot of those fish are backwater species I should be fine so long as I have a stable pH
What issues would there be with tempatures? I keep my tanks at a steady 78* F

A lot of people would say not to keep fish with the labyrinth organ together, but I have a male betta with 2 kissing gouramis. When dealing with bettas, it's a case by case basis. I would watch the angels as they can get aggressive towards smaller fish, but with THIS MUCH room...
they should be fine. good luck! :)

ALSO make sure to keep the barbs in a large group, as they get nippy when stressed and being in few numbers causes stress

A 150g tank might have too much current for a betta to be happy.
I don't personally recommend tiger barbs or red minors with angels or gouramis. Too nippy. I have kept red minors with angels, it didn't go well. Also, angels will often eat guppies.
Personally, I prefer the look of fewer species in bigger schools. Too many species looks a bit like a circus.

Last edited:
so my 150 runs @ 7.0 ph and is stocked with
7 roseline sharks
9 ghost cats
8-9 pristella tetra
4 hy511
6 serpae tetra
2 botia stiata
1 yoyo loach
3 green cories
7 panda cories
30 neon tetra
4 lemon tetra
1 albino longfin bnp
6 gold tetra
4 Rosie barbs
3 female betta
3 Celebes rainbow
2 bosemani rainbow
2 female guppies(just can't catch em)
1 african filter shrimp
5 nerite snails
it's a reef ready tank, I'm running the sump it flows @ 1300 gph and everyone is happy
other than double checking comparability I don't think you'll have too many issues as long as you build your stock slowly allowing all the natural settling to occur in it's own good time

emerald76 said:
I am looking at a 150 gal tank from craigslist and will probably buy it
Will this stock work in the tank?
Stocklist
Centerpiece-
2- German Blue Ram
2- German Gold Ram
2- Electric Blue Ram
2- Angelfish(have been coexisting with each other)
Livebearer-
1- Gold Dust Molly
Schooling-
6- Cardinal Tetra
10- Penguin Tetra
6- Von Rio Flame Tetra
10- Cherry Barb
6- Zebra Danio
6- Silvertip Tetra
6- Harlequin Rasbora
Anabatoids-
1-Dwarf Gourami
1-Male Betta
Bottom Dweller-
10- Peppered Cory
10- Khuli Loach
10- Otocinlus
2-Siamese Algae Eater
1-Peacock Eel(This is all your fault Nu-Nu and Gboy! J)
Invertebrates-
3-Zebra Nerite Snail
I’ve been known to impulse buy(A molly, 9 guppies, and 3 peppered cories in a 10 gal, anyone?) so I left a little room. Am I overstocked? Is there anything I should remove?

According to above posts, I edited stock a little bit. Thanks for your input. I'm sure the betta will be fine as I will heavily plant it to break the current.If he's not I have a ten gal I could put him in. Also I removed the tiger barbs. Id really like an angel but if it isn't suitable I'll remove from the stock- but the problem is they come with the tank and are two huge, goregous, adult koi angels with wonderful colors. Probably about 12-16" from the top of their fins to the bottom. I don't know if they are a pair though.
Edit- I also have no earthly idea how I would transfer them to my LFS or a new owner...

jetajockey said:
Transfer them in a bucket. They probably are not 12 to 16 inches tall unless they are superveils and even then that is huge.

I guess you can't exactly trust craigslist! I'm going by the ad sorry and that's what it said. I do think they are pretty big though as the tank is 4' tall and they take up 1/4 or so of that height when swimming by the wall of the tank straight up and down in the photo.

That's going to be one amazing tank! I would from personal experience drop the Tiger Barbs, I love them, but they can be nasty little critters. Look into Lemon Tetra also instead of the Danio's, I think they would fit in better.

Borderlesscott said:
That's going to be one amazing tank! I would from personal experience drop the Tiger Barbs, I love them, but they can be nasty little critters. Look into Lemon Tetra also instead of the Danio's, I think they would fit in better.

I'm not a huge fan if the lemons and I prefer the zebras
Why would they not fit in?Oh, please read the most recent post concerning the stock as it has an edited lost on it
Edit-of the lemons not if the lemons

Purely aesthetically, the Lemon would just fit in better with the rest. Danio's are lovely, but might overpower some of the rest of the fish visually.

Borderlesscott said:
Purely aesthetically, the Lemon would just fit in better with the rest. Danio's are lovely, but might overpower some of the rest of the fish visually.

That's fine with me
I love zebra danios and I don't mind if they are a little overpowering to the others
Plus all the other tetras I chose have very visual patterns and colors and the danios kind of pop out of them

Stocklist in question-
Centerpiece-
2- German Blue Ram
2- German Gold Ram
2- Electric Blue Ram
1-Angelfish
Livebearer-
1- Gold Dust Molly
Schooling-
6- Cardinal Tetra
10- Penguin Tetra
10- Cherry Barb
6- Zebra Danio
6- Silvertip Tetra
6- Harlequin Rasbora
Anabatoids-
1-Dwarf Gourami
1-Male Betta
Bottom Dweller-
10- Peppered Cory
10- Khuli Loach
10- Otocinlus
2-Siamese Algae Eater
1-Peacock Eel(This is all your fault Nu-Nu and Gboy!)
Invertebrates-
3-Zebra Nerite Snail
I’ve been known to impulse buy(A molly, 9 guppies, and 3 peppered cories in a 10 gal, anyone?) so I left a little room. Am I overstocked? Is there anything I should remove?I am open to suggestions so tell me what you think I should add!
The tank will be filtered with one of the highest rated EHEIM canisters on the market- I believe it is a 2260 Classic for up to 396 gals(buying tank used)
It will have sand substrate and be heavily planted however it is a taller tank(58 in long, 24 in wide, 48 in tall) so it will be hard to scape if anyone has suggestions as to what I should do about that. It comes with a light fixture that would be considered high light for the tank

I think your stocking plan for the 150 would lead the tank overstocked. You plan on having a lot of fish, and a lot of different schooling fish. I would choose 2-3 types of schooling fish and create larger schools (15-20 fish) of them.also I wouldnt include some of the bottom dwelling fish if you plan on having 3 pairs of rams.

As for your ten, I would say your definitely overstocked. The 9 guppies alone put your tank over the limit.

Fishkeeper26 said:
I think your stocking plan for the 150 would lead the tank overstocked. You plan on having a lot of fish, and a lot of different schooling fish. I would choose 2-3 types of schooling fish and create larger schools (15-20 fish) of them.also I wouldnt include some of the bottom dwelling fish if you plan on having 3 pairs of rams.

As for your ten, I would say your definitely overstocked. The 9 guppies alone put your tank over the limit.

1- I've actually removed fish from my list for my 90 gal which was approved and changed many times over and this list is the result
2- I'd rather have many different schoolers than a few big schools
3- I have a tank available if the rams get nasty however I will switch up the ram numbers a little
4-I didn't ask for comments on the ten and I can understand your concern but every fish in that tank is coming to the big tank and I no longer have the molly. It was just an example of one of my impulse buys. So please no comments on my ten- I know it is overstocked and that is why I'm getting this tank. I do 75% water changes twice a week on it also. So please stay ON TOPIC. I have separate threads for the matter of my ten.

Edited List-
Centerpiece-
1- German Blue Ram
1- German Gold Ram
2- Electric Blue Ram
1-Angelfish
Livebearer-
1- Gold Dust Molly
Schooling-
6- Cardinal Tetra
10- Penguin Tetra
10- Cherry Barb
6- Zebra Danio
6- Silvertip Tetra
6- Harlequin Rasbora
Anabatoids-
1-Dwarf Gourami
1-Male Betta
Bottom Dweller-
10- Peppered Cory
10- Khuli Loach
10- Otocinlus
2-Siamese Algae Eater
1-Peacock Eel(This is all your fault Nu-Nu and Gboy!)
Invertebrates-
3-Zebra Nerite Snail

emerald76 said:
Stocklist in question-

I’ve been known to impulse buy(A molly, 9 guppies, and 3 peppered cories in a 10 gal, anyone?) so I left a little room. Am I overstocked? .

Sorry for the commentary on the 10, you just made it seemed like you wanted commentary on it with the quote above.

That was just my opinion, by no means do you have to take it. If you want to keep what you have planned, it's your choice.

I messed with the numbers of rams a little so there are only four now and Id like to drop it to three but I'm worried about aggressiveness
I'm willing to drop the khulis to 6 and I'm assuming the others will be fine especially because Otos spend 90% of their time on the upper levels of the tank IME so they should be fine
I'll be sure to do lots of sightline breaking with hardscape and plants
Thanks

What about 2-3 pair of Rams and 1-2 pair of Appistogramma of some sort, super little fish, colourful, active, same sort of behaviour as rams just slightly smaller.

Back
Top Bottom