stocking a 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking for ideas for stocking a new 29g tank...any suggestions? Let me know your suggestions for starting from scratch, and then your suggestion if starting with 7 long-finned danios and building on them.

Thanks!

Look at my signature. I have 2, 29 gallons that are overstocked but well filtered. They are a lot of work with that many fish. The fish are compatible.

The taller tanks like the 29 are perfect for Angelfish. As you can see in dax29's sig he has them in both of his 29's.

I will suggest Rams. I got a new 29gal. shopping for Rams now.. I have a seperate posting which tracks the new setup.

I have Rams, Angelfish, Tetras, Gouramis, otos and corys... fills the tank well with top, middle and bottom dwellers. Looks awesome!

Blucat said:
rainbowfish
gourami
cory cats
tetras

that's pretty much the set-up im going with. I just need to crunch some numbers to see how many of each I can go with on my 29gal

Matching up the water hardness and ph requirements of the fish you will keep and your tap water makes keeping fish much easier.. IMO..

I was thinking about going with a biotope of India, using the danios and then going with a gourami as my centerpiece and then getting maybe yoyo loaches for the bottom. I thought about ditching the biotope and getting rams, but I hear they can be difficult/fragile, and I travel at least 2-3 weeks each year (not all at once, many times it's just weekends), so I am looking at something that would be fairly easy to care for so my friends can watch them while I am gone.

As for the gouramis, would it be better to get just one male, or should I get a group (m/f ratio?) or pair?

One male is fine, or you could go with 1 male and 2 females. With a male and female, the male might chase the female all the time and it will stress her.

Back
Top Bottom