Stocking a 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
After long last I have built my stand, bought my 40 gallon tank and all accessories, and I have a few questions regarding the stocking. I have 4 black neon tetras right now that will be transferred to the tank (I had 8 but its been almost 3 years and they've started to die off), and then I will add 6 marbled hatchetfish, 5-8 corydoras(not sure what kind, but probably pepper). I was planning on getting a set of pearl gouramis, but I think a south american biotope would be really cool. How about dwarf cichlids? I know very little about cichlids, so I can use suggestions. I have a cave-driftwood type decor, and it will be moderately planted. I would also like to add 8-12 cardinal tetras eventually. Im really just looking for opinions on how and if this would work.

Well you could do something like this:
- 6 black neons
- 7 corys
- 6 hatchets
- 8 cardinals
- a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides.

It sounds good to me, but can you guys tell me more about the apistos?

Well they like soft and acidic water. They're pretty docile except when breeding, but your fish should be fine. They are really cool fish, but need a fairly established tank (3 months at least). They're a dwarf cichlid from the amazon so they need warm water (78) and a good diet; bloodworms, brine shrimp, and other live or frozen food is appreciated. I fed my bolivian ram cichlid pellets, you could do the same.

Make sure to cycle your tank first before adding anything! You could do a pair of apistos that would look cool but if you want a gorgeous dwarf Cichlid look into a pair of cockatoo cichlids they are stunning!

Make sure to cycle your tank first before adding anything! You could do a pair of apistos that would look cool but if you want a gorgeous dwarf Cichlid look into a pair of cockatoo cichlids they are stunning!

Appistogramma cacatouides is the cockatoo cichlid... :facepalm:

Oh whoops my bad haha I thought that was something else:/ I feel Dumb now lol.

Haha thanks guys. So is a pair better, or one male and two females? Also, I will be cycling with a bacteria supplement for 2 weeks, and with my black neons for another 2 weeks once I finish setting it up. From there Ill add 2-5 fish a week... Once everything is settled, (probably 2-3 months) I will add the apistos. Im doing some research and they are bottom dwellers. Will the corys be fine? And do they go in the middle too? Im pretty excited, they are supposed to be great personality fish.

They shouldn't have a problem. I haven't had either, but with a huge footprint like a 40B they should be fine unless you get a crazy apisto, but I doubt it.

Also... Would pygmy corys be better? They are smaller with a smaller bioload, and are bottom-mid range.

Okay :). Sterbais (i think thats how u spell it) are sooo expensive, so ill probably be going with peppered corys, i dont like panda or bronze as much.

Back
Top Bottom