Stocking a 5 gallon? I'm new to smaller tanks and the hobby so bear with me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnewb101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased the hawkeye 5 gallon from wal mart and I've done some research and have found several fish I like: the male dwarf gourami, a male betta, or a few male guppies, and I also found that I like shrimp I can only find ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp, African dwarf frog, and a nerite snail now I'm new to this stuff but I was thinking maybe a male gourami or the betta, with 10 red cherry shrimp, 1 African dwarf frog and a nerite snail, I'm wondering what you guys think is it overstocked? Or do I have more room? :confused:Also thinking of possibly male guppies although I have no clue whats a good number and if i can still do my other creatures...so any suggestions on what a good stocking woud be is much appreciated...now onto the plants I've checked out java fern and java moss and both seem cool but I'm wondering what you guys think and if you have more suggestions I'm just gonna use gravel and that's it and they have to be small as well. Also thinking of getting one maybe 2 decorations? Again any suggestions are great and will 5 pounds of gravel be enough? And finally I wanna get a secondary filter as this might be a little overstocked and I like to always have a backup the one it comes with is a tetra internal 2-5 I believe and they work great on our bigger tank, so I was thinking maybe a sponger filter or a hob filter again what do you guys think? Sorry for the 50 million questions but I just wanna make good decisions and make a awesome environment :thanks:

Accidentally replied to myself trying to post a new thread

:ROFLMAO: sorry I'm new to this

Last edited:
I just purchased the hawkeye 5 gallon from wal mart and I've done some research and have found several fish I like: the male dwarf gourami, a male betta, or a few male guppies, and I also found that I like shrimp I can only find ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp, African dwarf frog, and a nerite snail now I'm new to this stuff but I was thinking maybe a male gourami or the betta, with 10 red cherry shrimp, 1 African dwarf frog and a nerite snail, I'm wondering what you guys think is it overstocked? Or do I have more room? :confused:Also thinking of possibly male guppies although I have no clue whats a good number and if i can still do my other creatures...so any suggestions on what a good stocking woud be is much appreciated...now onto the plants I've checked out java fern and java moss and both seem cool but I'm wondering what you guys think and if you have more suggestions I'm just gonna use gravel and that's it and they have to be small as well. Also thinking of getting one maybe 2 decorations? Again any suggestions are great and will 5 pounds of gravel be enough? And finally I wanna get a secondary filter as this might be a little overstocked and I like to always have a backup the one it comes with is a tetra internal 2-5 I believe and they work great on our bigger tank, so I was thinking maybe a sponger filter or a hob filter again what do you guys think? Sorry for the 50 million questions but I just wanna make good decisions and make a awesome environment :thanks:

For stock the I would do a betta and shrimp. Try the ghost if he doesn't eat them try RCS. You could also add a snail. For plants low light plants like anubias java fern and java moss would be fine. 5lbs of gravel should be plenty. I'd do an hob for a secondary filter. How are you cycling the tank?

For stock the I would do a betta and shrimp. Try the ghost if he doesn't eat them try RCS. You could also add a snail. For plants low light plants like anubias java fern and java moss would be fine. 5lbs of gravel should be plenty. I'd do an hob for a secondary filter. How are you cycling the tank?

I'm not quite sure how to even do it really to be honest I heard you wait 3 days then just a betta in? :confused:, and what hob filter would you recommend for 5 gallons? I don't quite have the tank just yet as wal mart hasn't even shipped it, but it will be here by 8th-13th so I'm getting everything ready and getting a game plan

I'm not quite sure how to even do it really to be honest I heard you wait 3 days then just a betta in? :confused:, and what hob filter would you recommend for 5 gallons? I don't quite have the tank just yet as wal mart hasn't even shipped it, but it will be here by 8th-13th so I'm getting everything ready and getting a game plan

I'd do an aqua clear 10. Here is an article on fishless cycling. What I recommend. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Ok, I heard you can do 10 cherry shrimp per gallon and 5 ghost, so I was thinking maybe 5 of each, the beta, a snail, either mystery or a nerite, and do you think there would be room for 1 African dwarf frog?

Its a no for the frog. You also need to realize that some bettas will eat shrimp. That's why you start with the larger ghosts and maybe try the RCS If you have no issues.

Its a no for the frog. You also need to realize that some bettas will eat shrimp. That's why you start with the larger ghosts and maybe try the RCS If you have no issues.

I can't seem to find a aqua clear 10 they only seem to have 20 and above, do you have a link by any chance?

The ones I've found are:
1. Petco power filter 10
2. Quiet flow 10 has 4 stages?
3. Aqua tech 5-15
Unless you guys have other ideas from like amazon or google tell me what you think :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom