Stocking a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Where can I find sample stocking lists, assuming they exist? I see charts telling me what fish are compatible but then I read threads like don't use these fish cause they poop too much or these ones will work but u really need 6 of em, and so on. I'm cycling a 50g tank right now.

If a list like that doesn't exist, maybe some of you would tell me what works good in your 50g tank. I know I want some tetras. I'm doing a fish-less cycle so I will be able to add a lot of fish when its done.

Hi coz,

The ideal stocking list, WOW! I don't think I've ever seen one. :)

The good thing is, a 50-gallon tank provides for lots of options. The best advice I could give you is to measure your water parameters and use the results to guide you in your stocking selection. You can further break that down by keeping fish from the same region, a biotope. Then formulate a list that consists of fish that swim or hang out in all three tank levels: upper, middle and lower.

Hope this helps...

David

I've been looking at fish bios and surprised that it says I can put bettas with comm fish like tetras. I thought they would eat smallet fish

It's hit or miss with bettas, but I've kept them in community setups without any problems. I've also kept them with small fish like Endler's Livebearers, but that didn't go too well. Make sure the fishes you keep with a betta are too big to fit in its mouth and do not look similar.

David

Back
Top Bottom