Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I need your help. So I've been planning a 55g freshwater community tank for a while now. And until just now, I've been wanted to do a tank stocked predominantly with tiger barbs. I realize now that, although a large shoal of tiger barbs will reduce aggression, the simple presence of tiger barbs will cause stress to less aggressive fish.

Anyways, here's my temporary stocking list for now.

-9 Harlequin Rasboras
-9 Neon Tetras
-9 Black Neon Tetras
-5 Small Corydoras (Please recommend a species that grows to about 1.5 inches)
-5 Otocinclus
-1 Starlight bristlenose pleco
-Malaysian Trumpet Snails

I want to get at least one or two more species into the tank. Preferably tetras or rasboras. Any advice would be deeply appreciated; Thanks!

Look into Lemon or Diamond tetra's. They are alittle bigger but with a different body shape but very peaceful. You can't appreciate Diamonds in pictures. Once settled in and unstressed they glitter like diamonds in the light. As they age they get more and more of the glittery blues and purples. One of my favorites that would go with your list are Threadfin Rainbow fish. The females are drab but the males are awesome when displaying. They stay small and stay in the top water strata which I notice on you list you have no upper level swimmers. Hatchet fish are surface swimmers and would work also.

Look into Lemon or Diamond tetra's. They are alittle bigger but with a different body shape but very peaceful. You can't appreciate Diamonds in pictures. Once settled in and unstressed they glitter like diamonds in the light. As they age they get more and more of the glittery blues and purples. One of my favorites that would go with your list are Threadfin Rainbow fish. The females are drab but the males are awesome when displaying. They stay small and stay in the top water strata which I notice on you list you have no upper level swimmers. Hatchet fish are surface swimmers and would work also.

Hey, thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. However, do you have any other recommendations of species that have body figures similar to the neon tetra and harlequin rasbora?

Rummy nose tetra's would be a really good fit. I have a school of 21. Penguin tetras, X-Ray Pristella tetras. Glo-light tetras, Albino or regular Buenos Aires tetras, Pencil fish, or Galaxy Rasbora. My first vote goes to Rummy's and then the Galaxy rasbora's.

Panda Cories would work out great and they look awesome. But I suggest upping the schools of all the fish to 10 and instead of the Neons get Cardinal Tetras. I would also suggest 10 Rummy Nose Tetras or Blood Fin Tetra.

ForumRunner_20120629_204615.jpg

0936_bloodfin_tetra.jpg

ForumRunner_20120825_003156.jpg

rummy_nose_tetra.jpg

This is what you should do
-10 Harlequin Rasboras
-10 Cardinal Tetras
-10 Black Neon Tetras
-10 Rummy Nose Tetras
-6 Panda Cory Cats
-5 Otos
-1 Star Light Bristle Nose Pleco
-1 MTS
If you dropped the Otos which are unnecessary with the Pleco you could add 10 Blood Fin Tetras.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom