stocking for 15 gallon column

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mycomuse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have gotten my first tank. It is a 15 gallon tank with a 14x14 in base. I have planted the tank with a few plants and have added a piece of spider driftwood. Now I am trying to decide on fish.

When I went to the LFS I really liked a few of the fish.

I really pretty sure that I want a small school of reed tetra for my middle swimmers. From what I can find they are very small moderately active fish.

For my bottom level I was originally thinking about getting some pygmy Cory's. However, I fell in love with rams. Would it be possible to keep a pair of rams in my tank?

For the top I was thinking of getting a pair of either platys or maybe guppies.

Finally, I was going to get snails and/or shrimp to help with algae and left over food.

I would really like to have all the fish from the same area of the world.

So, does it seem reasonable to eventually have
6-10 reed tetras
2 rams
2 platys
And a snail or a few shrimp

In my tank?

I would be more than wiling to wait a few months before getting the rams.
Any other ideas on top swimmers from south america that would work in my tank? I know that guppies at least prefer hard water so they might not work well with the soft water rams.

Yes all seems good. Look at marbled hatchet fish they are from South America and look amazing, they also shoal so 4 would be a good number. Have to warn you though they jump. I had them they are an amazing fish for the surface I recommend them for you.

On top of what tomtom said, get a few tall or floating plants if you get hatchets, the will feel more comfortable.

Unfortunately, my husband has vetoed hatchet fish from my tank. Any other options?

I wouldn't recommend rams in a tank that small, particularly one with such a small footprint. How about something like a honey gourami instead?

Back
Top Bottom