Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T3G6773

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning on picking up a 40 gal tank, I need some help. I was thinking of getting 1 parrot cichlid, 1 rainbow shark, 1 albino bn pleco and about 12-15 tiger barbs. I would love to add another type of cichlid, can you guys help me think of one? Thanks!

And please tell me if I should not put one of those fish

I'm planning on picking up a 40 gal tank, I need some help. I was thinking of getting 1 parrot cichlid, 1 rainbow shark, 1 albino bn pleco and about 12-15 tiger barbs. I would love to add another type of cichlid, can you guys help me think of one? Thanks!

40 gallon breeder? Might recommend a 55 gallon instead cause like the foot print more.

But if going for multiple cichlids my suggestions would be. Ditch the pleco and rainbow shark.

1 parrot cichlid
1 rainbow cichlid
1 salvani cichlid or blue acara

I've personally never kept tiger barbs to say if they would work in the tank I've suggested.
But would think the colours of the cichlids would more than make up for having only the 3 fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

40 gallon breeder? Might recommend a 55 gallon instead cause like the foot print more.

But if going for multiple cichlids my suggestions would be. Ditch the pleco and rainbow shark.

1 parrot cichlid
1 rainbow cichlid
1 salvani cichlid or blue acara

I've personally never kept tiger barbs to say if they would work in the tank I've suggested.
But would think the colours of the cichlids would more than make up for having only the 3 fish.

Is there a way too keep the fish I listed and still add more fish? Like it doesn't have to be cichlids just a colorful fish that can live with the fish I listed.

Is there a way too keep the fish I listed and still add more fish? Like it doesn't have to be cichlids just a colorful fish that can live with the fish I listed.

I personally would not add a rainbow shark to that tank. Plecos can be neat to look at but keep in mind barley clean a tank and create a lot of waste while hiding during most of the day.

Parrot fish can be very moody in my opinion anyway. There are not many colourful non cichlids I would put with them. Most medium sized colourful fish are from asia, like a gourami or paradise fish. I would not mix with a Central American fish.

Again above is only my opinion.

I highly recommend against this. I've never had a parrot cichlid (are you talking about the hybrid blood parrot cichlid?) but I assume that they are agressive. Combining one with a rainbow shark would be tricky I'm sure and not a good idea unless you are very experienced.

Is this your first tank?

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle process and how to complete that?

Do you have any experience with aggressive fish?

I highly recommend against this. I've never had a parrot cichlid (are you talking about the hybrid blood parrot cichlid?) but I assume that they are agressive. Combining one with a rainbow shark would be tricky I'm sure and not a good idea unless you are very experienced.

Is this your first tank?

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle process and how to complete that?

Do you have any experience with aggressive fish?

It's the first time I'm working with aggressive fish but I have been in the hobby for a few years so ya I know about nitrogen cycle

So I should do a cichlid only tank? Can I add any sort or bottomfeeder and can I have tiger barbs?

Ok, i will give you a brief profile on each of these showing you why they shouldn't be in the tank.

Parrot Cichlid- regardless if this is the Blood Parrot of the True Parrot, they get big. 8 inches for the BP, which i think is what you're talking about. The True Parrot is too big for the tank. While this is an ok size for a 40 gallon, is SEVERELY limits options of other fish. Parrots are pushy, and can be territorial. The length of the 40 isn't enough to have any other territorial fish.

Rainbow Shark- this also applies to Red-Tail Sharks. They are territorial against other bottom feeders, and can hurt smaller fish. They also get large, I've personally seen a 7 inch fish. This could work but it limits you options, although not as much as a Parrot.

BN Pleco- high bioload. Plecos are poop machines. The BN actually doesn't do a half-bad job of cleaning, but it doesn't cover its own bioload. Unless you're really attached to this idea, i would ditch it.

Tiger Barbs- Nippy to long fins. Thats about all. They limit the options because fin-nipping can mean infection to the victim, and possibly death.

These are some other Cichlids that you CANT have in here with other fish, or at all: Oscar, Jaguar, Red Devil, Midas, Texas, Dovii, Severum, Chocolate, Synspilum, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, and Salvini are all either too big and too aggressive for this tank. The Salvini could live in it but they are absolute murderers. Personal experience, believe me.

Some that COULD be kept in a proper setup: Firemouth (most fish in the Thoricythys genus will work), Blue Acara, Convict, Dwarf Pike, Rainbow, Or Honduran Red Points.

If you decide to keep the Parrot, you will not be able to have another Cichlid. They will clash. There are plenty of other colorful Cichlids you can have in its place, which can allow you to have a few more. If you want, keep the Parrot and the Shark and thats it. I wouldn't add Tiger Barbs with either due to the Tiger Barbs being too small to really handle any aggression.

Ok so let me know about some of these things so i can give you a few suggestions:

-are you able and interested in breeding cichlids?

-do you want a really active tank?

-do you want a fish with personality?

-is color really important to you?

-do you need to have other fish besides Cichlids?

-are you willing to do 50% weekly water changes?

-what filter do you have?

Answer those so i can give you some specific lists that i would use in your place.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Ok, i will give you a brief profile on each of these showing you why they shouldn't be in the tank.

Parrot Cichlid- regardless if this is the Blood Parrot of the True Parrot, they get big. 8 inches for the BP, which i think is what you're talking about. The True Parrot is too big for the tank. While this is an ok size for a 40 gallon, is SEVERELY limits options of other fish. Parrots are pushy, and can be territorial. The length of the 40 isn't enough to have any other territorial fish.

Rainbow Shark- this also applies to Red-Tail Sharks. They are territorial against other bottom feeders, and can hurt smaller fish. They also get large, I've personally seen a 7 inch fish. This could work but it limits you options, although not as much as a Parrot.

BN Pleco- high bioload. Plecos are poop machines. The BN actually doesn't do a half-bad job of cleaning, but it doesn't cover its own bioload. Unless you're really attached to this idea, i would ditch it.

Tiger Barbs- Nippy to long fins. Thats about all. They limit the options because fin-nipping can mean infection to the victim, and possibly death.

These are some other Cichlids that you CANT have in here with other fish, or at all: Oscar, Jaguar, Red Devil, Midas, Texas, Dovii, Severum, Chocolate, Synspilum, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, and Salvini are all either too big and too aggressive for this tank. The Salvini could live in it but they are absolute murderers. Personal experience, believe me.

Some that COULD be kept in a proper setup: Firemouth (most fish in the Thoricythys genus will work), Blue Acara, Convict, Dwarf Pike, Rainbow, Or Honduran Red Points.

If you decide to keep the Parrot, you will not be able to have another Cichlid. They will clash. There are plenty of other colorful Cichlids you can have in its place, which can allow you to have a few more. If you want, keep the Parrot and the Shark and thats it. I wouldn't add Tiger Barbs with either due to the Tiger Barbs being too small to really handle any aggression.

Ok so let me know about some of these things so i can give you a few suggestions:

-are you able and interested in breeding cichlids?

-do you want a really active tank?

-do you want a fish with personality?

-is color really important to you?

-do you need to have other fish besides Cichlids?

-are you willing to do 50% weekly water changes?

-what filter do you have?

Answer those so i can give you some specific lists that i would use in your place.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Thanks that was really helpful, I would probably be doing a 30-40% wc every week and I was talking about blood parrot, what I'm really looking for isn't color but personality, I don't really care how active the tank is and the filter I would probably get a 50-60 gal filter, so I guess my new question is what fish with personality can live in a 40 gallon with a blood parrot

If you're fixated on the blood parrot then it sounds like nothing else.

For filter an AquaClear 70 sounds like a good idea. Some sort of fluval or Eheim canister would also be good. You generally want a filter that's rated for a tank 1.5 to 2 times bigger than your tank size.

If you like personality, shell dwellers (Neolamprologus Multifasciatus) are a good idea. I have a tank of them and I love them. In a 40 you could even have some nice cypichromis schooling at the top, or some Julies if you provide rockwork.

If you're fixated on the blood parrot then it sounds like nothing else.

For filter an AquaClear 70 sounds like a good idea. Some sort of fluval or Eheim canister would also be good. You generally want a filter that's rated for a tank 1.5 to 2 times bigger than your tank size.

If you like personality, shell dwellers (Neolamprologus Multifasciatus) are a good idea. I have a tank of them and I love them. In a 40 you could even have some nice cypichromis schooling at the top, or some Julies if you provide rockwork.

+1 to Shellie's
other options for personality but with community options :
Other Dwarf species of cichlid
Apistigramas
Rams
Key hole

Dwarf gouramis like honey or powder blue

One Paradise fish (still be careful with tank mates here)

If up the size of tank a touch a single larger cichlid kept as a wet pet. Like a jack Dempsey. Would not have any tankmates here just the JD.

Is there any bottomfeeder I can add? Not really to clean I just love bottomfeeders! Can a have a shoal of corys 1 blood parrot and some other fish? Just 1 other fish of a school of some fish

I love angelfish but they might now work with blood parrots right? Or can they?

I love angelfish but they might now work with blood parrots right? Or can they?

I would not put angle fish with a blood parrot. The long fins of an angel fish are not meant to be with more aggressive cichlids.

I'm almost completely sure Angels and a blood parrot would be disastrous. Just curious, why are you fixated on the BP?

I'm almost completely sure Angels and a blood parrot would be disastrous. Just curious, why are you fixated on the BP?

I just love blood parrots, the reason I'm getting this tank is to get a blood parrot. Can a blood parrot, rainbow shark and a convict work? Aquadvisor says it would. Thanks!

Aqadvisor is a good source for estimating how fully stocked you are, but should not be your only source for deciding compatibility issues.

Someone with specific experience should chime in.

I just love blood parrots, the reason I'm getting this tank is to get a blood parrot. Can a blood parrot, rainbow shark and a convict work? Aquadvisor says it would. Thanks!

The BP and Rainbow Shark should be ok together, i wouldn't add any thing else, especially Cichlids. The territorial issues will be problematic, and if they aren't fighting they are breeding, and that would be ok but you would have to cull the fry, if any were even produced.

A BP and Rainbow Shark should be ok, but thats all i think.

Also, you will need a filter bigger than one rated for 50 or 60 gallons... They wont give you enough GPH, which basically means water turnover, and bigger filters grow more BB, which you need.

I would either get a single canister filter rated for a 70-90 gallon tank, or 2 filters rated for a 40 gallon tank. And you will still need your 30% WC minimum... I can say firsthand that Cichlids are basically the messiets thing ever (except maybe Plecos or Goldfish.)

Back
Top Bottom