Stocking my fish tank help...!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claretmaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
An people please advise what to stock my fish tank with. I had a ammonia problem which has now been sorted. It sadly killed my fish and i have 2 neon survivors. I have a 40L tank so was wondering what to put in and of how many. My little boy would like colour if thats possible.

Please advise and help..??

If you have 2 neon tetras? Then you could get more to make a school. Dwarf gouramis are pretty:) glofish are cool too. But some people don't agree with that. It's up to you.

Based on the way you spelled color, I am assuming that you also meant liters. That's about 10 gallons... I wouldn't put neon tetras in a 10g personally. I would get 8-10 chili rasboras, a pair of scarlet badis and 6 pygmy cories.

maxwellag said:
Based on the way you spelled color, I am assuming that you also meant liters. That's about 10 gallons... I wouldn't put neon tetras in a 10g personally. I would get 8-10 chili rasboras, a pair of scarlet badis and 6 pygmy cories.

Sorry about the spelling. Was at work trying to type quick. Are they all fish that i could get pretty standard at a aquarium. What should i do with the 2 neons left in there. Thanks.

Claretmaz said:
Sorry about the spelling. Was at work trying to type quick. Are they all fish that i could get pretty standard at a aquarium. What should i do with the 2 neons left in there. Thanks.

So it is a 40 gallon? Lol I thought you meant liters because most of the time other countries use colour as the spelling.

maddybrat said:
If you have 2 neon tetras? Then you could get more to make a school. Dwarf gouramis are pretty:) glofish are cool too. But some people don't agree with that. It's up to you.

Could all them fish live together happily :)

maxwellag said:
So it is a 40 gallon? Lol I thought you meant liters because most of the time other countries use colour as the spelling.

Sorry im on UK metrics. It would be 40 litres which im guessing is about 10gallons. Its my little boys tank so a few nice small colourful fish would be perfect.

Claretmaz said:
Sorry im on UK metrics. It would be 40 litres which im guessing is about 10gallons. Its my little boys tank so a few nice small colourful fish would be perfect.

Oh. Then I would go with the stocking I suggested above. If your boys want color, maybe a betta (but it likely would have to be the only thing in tank). I am a fan of killifish. Maybe gardneris or N'sukka? They are very colorful. I would rehome the neon tetras because the tank is a little small for them.

maxwellag said:
Oh. Then I would go with the stocking I suggested above. If your boys want color, maybe a betta (but it likely would have to be the only thing in tank). I am a fan of killifish. Maybe gardneris or N'sukka? They are very colorful. I would rehome the neon tetras because the tank is a little small for them.

Ok thanks so much for your help. 1 last question. What order would you put the fish in and how many at once and what gap between adding more. I dont want to get it wrong.

Claretmaz said:
Ok thanks so much for your help. 1 last question. What order would you put the fish in and how many at once and what gap between adding more. I dont want to get it wrong.

Once your tank is cycled, I would add the pygmy cories first, then wait about a month so you can make sure none of them are sick, then get the chili rasboras. If you have a spare empty 10g tank, put them in there and quarantine them for at least a few weeks to make sure they aren't sick (or more importantly don't introduce new diseases into your tank). Once you move them over to the main tank, get a pair of scarlet badis and quarantine them (like above) and move them to the main tank.
If you want to get killifish, I would just buy 4 (2 male, 2 female). If you don't want them to breed, get 4 of the same gender. Gardneris and australes are my 2 recommendations for colors.

I think the order of the fish is good, just not the timing on the first part. Once you add the cories, I think just get your parameters steady at good levels and then you can purchase the next fish. The bacteria you are building with cycling will adjust to the load, so if you have a certain amount of fish in the tank for a while and then add a lot more, the bacteria may have a hard time processing the waste from the added fish. Quarantining new fish for about 2 weeks is important though as you don't want to contaminate your other fish if the newcomer(s) have a disease. The QT period will allow you to identify any sickness in the new fish.

Oh, and as for killifish type, I recommend the bluefin notho killifish! Awesome coloration!

-bud

bud29 said:
I think the order of the fish is good, just not the timing on the first part. Once you add the cories, I think just get your parameters steady at good levels and then you can purchase the next fish. The bacteria you are building with cycling will adjust to the load, so if you have a certain amount of fish in the tank for a while and then add a lot more, the bacteria may have a hard time processing the waste from the added fish. Quarantining new fish for about 2 weeks is important though as you don't want to contaminate your other fish if the newcomer(s) have a disease. The QT period will allow you to identify any sickness in the new fish.

Oh, and as for killifish type, I recommend the bluefin notho killifish! Awesome coloration!

-bud

Usually most people quarantine new fish for at least 2 weeks, but more commonly a month to be positive that the new fish are sickness free. That's why I said leave them in there for a month. Sometimes when exposed to new environments fish become more susceptible to certain diseases, so it is important to make sure they aren't sick or are going to get sick for a long time.

bud29 said:
True, however most diseases will probably make themselves known within 2 weeks.

A lot of diseases take a while to develop and are especially common in stressed fish (new fish for example). Ich can take weeks to be noticed (if noticed at all) because the white spots are not always as large or in noticeable places. Different parasites can be in a fish for weeks before reproducing or moving to be noticed. My point is, quarantining the fish for longer is important to be 100% sure that they are sickness free.

bud29 said:
Here is a picture of the bluefin notho killifish:

Im going to go for the killifish as my little boy loves the pictures. Would you suggest 2 male and 2 female.

Claretmaz said:
Im going to go for the killifish as my little boy loves the pictures. Would you suggest 2 male and 2 female.

Yes two males and two females will do great! I love killis, I might be getting some for a ten!

Samzter said:
Yes two males and two females will do great! I love killis, I might be getting some for a ten!

They are tropical arnt they ??
I have a 10gallon tank will them 4 fill it up nicely. Do you need to put the same type in. My filters and everything will be ok wont they. What temp should i hve my thermometer at??

Back
Top Bottom