stocking opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonbond

Aquarium Advice Newbie
im starting up a 30 gallon fowlr with 20 gallon sump, it's my first saltwater tank and i was wondering what some good beginner fish would be as well as how many of them is appropriate.

any specific suggestions on a good stocking setup of what fish and how many of each?

thanks

Take a look at sites like liveaquaria.com for photos and descriptions of fish with tank size requirements, temperment and compatibility.

Decide on what YOU would like and then post your list for opinions. There are way too many choices to available.

I agree with Cmor, there are so many fish, pick the ones you like and ask us.
Easone, did you get the damsel?

ok, so i've been doing some reading and have a bit of extra cash, os i am going ot make it a 55 gallon tanks with the old 30 gallon tanks as the sump.
i looked at the "saltwater fish for beginners" section on liveaquaria to get some ideas, i like the longnose hawkfish, coral beauty, kauderns cardinal, six line wraees, and ocellaris clown.
so my question is which of these fis hwould be able to g togethr and what other fish would be good with them?
i plan on haivng around 80 or 90 pounds of live rock and turbo snails and hermit crabs as a clean up crew.
any opinions and help is much apreciatd.
thanks, Jon

If you are thinking of going reef in the future the Coral Beauty can be a nipper. Mine isn't (yet) but I watch for signs of it all the time.

thanks, i don't plan on going reef or really getting any inverts other than crabs snails and maybe some shrimp.
so is the hawkfish a definate no? of something i could pull off if i were careful?
and if i were to get those fish listed above, how many more fish could i put in with them and what are some other good beginner fish that would get along with them?
thanks

Let's see...it eats small fish and shrimp. It's also a jumper so eggcrate or similar is required on the top. I think there are better choices, but that's my opinion. This is your tank. I like having small snails for my sand bed.

How many more fish you depend depends on size and temperment. You can add more small, peacefull, slow swimmers than you can more active fish. You may decide you want to add one larger fish (up to about 5") like a Auriga Butterflyfish.

so is the hawkfish a definate no? of something i could pull off if i were careful?

Being careful really isn't the issue. The issue is a hawkfish being a hawkfish, and it doing what it's genes tell it to do: hunt. If you want one, get one. Just don't think you'll keep the rest of those docile, peaceful fish with it. Or at least be aware that you might not be keeping them for very long.

Thanks Lisa . I thought I had given him that but my link was invalid.I deleted my post.

Back
Top Bottom