Stocking Question 10G Hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl414

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a question about my hexagon shaped tank, I think its a 10g tank.

Not really sure what to put in it because it's not that wide at all, but its very tall.
Also I don't have an extra heater, so maybe some coldwater fish? I'm really not sure, but may get a heater anyway.

thanks in advance to anyone that responds :)

I do think you may could keep something like a small school of white cloud minnows. I have kept a betta in an unheated tank and he lived about 7 years. However this is not a reccomended practice.

wow thats so long, was the betta just in the tank by himself?

Yep, he was just in a 2.5 gallon hex unheated and unfiltered. I put him in and he cycled the tank, along with only doing water changes once ever several months. This was before I knew much about fish keeping. He just died of old age this past Tuesday.

R.I.P Admaril Finn

I didn't even know they could live that long, but I'm sorry about your fish.
I'm cycling both my tanks right now for the first time and I still haven't made up my mind about what I'm putting in either one. This is my first time doing a fishless cycle

They have been rumored to live about 10 years in a laboratory setting with daily exercise. He lived a full life. I tried a fishless cycle on my 10 gallon standard, but I got impatient when I reached the Nitrite to Nitrate phase. I put some platys in my tank and they are finishing up the cycle. I commend you for doing research and doing a fishless cycle though.

thanks, I researched for so long about what to do. A few years ago I had a try at keeping fish and I just filled up one of my tanks with water, started up the filter and threw in about 7 feeder goldfish.. Let's just say they didn't last the week.

Yeah, I am having to do 1-2 water changes a day to keep the nitrite levels in my cycling platy tank low. I am glad I did my research, but this site has helped me cause it seems like everyone has their own opinion.

yeah I agree, I've only been a member for a week but I've learned so much just from going through a lot of the posts.

Maybe you could help me out quick, my tanks been up for like 4 days now and when I got home today the water was really cloudy and still is. I made sure i washed everything before, I put it in and the only thing that it's been doing is sitting there with the filter, heater, and airstone going.

I am not sure exactly what the cause of this is, but it is normal if I remember correctly. Think it may have to do with bacteria getting established, but should clear up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom