Stocking questions, particularly regarding redtail shark.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neejchee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! After a bit of advice regarding the future stocking of my 120L/30gal tank. I have a general idea of what I want in there, but Dro Google is a bit all over the shop with advice and I don't want to end up getting the wrong fish and making them miserable!

First up, I'm interested in a redtail shark. From most of what I've read the tank should be big enough for one (although I'm not certain, so please correct me if I'm wrong!) And I was under the impression that they tend to stick around the bottom, but aqadvisor tells me they're jumpers. I have a lid so that's not an issue in itself, but it does make me wonder just how much of a bottom dweller it would really be? I'm trying to stock by levels so it's sor of important. Also, aqadvisor tells me they're too aggressive to keep with tetras, but again I'd gotten the impression that they're generally chasers as opposed to attackers and that's mostly directed at others low down. Please give me any helpful info you have! I'd LOVE to get one of these beauties, but I can always stick with dwarf loaches or something for my bottom level if necessary.

Dwarf gourami: I'm not supposed to have more than one male, correct? So should I have a male/female pair or will a bachelor be happy enough alone?

I'd like some tetras. If I get 6 red phantoms and 6 cardinals will they mix or stick to their own small groups? Trying to decide if I'm better off with 6 of each or just 12 red phantoms.

Next up: bumblebee gobies. The interwebz tells me that one of the two types can tolerate freshwater, as opposed to requiring brackish. How true is that? And is it 'tolerate' in the sense of 'will survive but will be sick and miserable' or will it actually be okay? Assuming they're an option, if I put live backworms, livebearer fry and maybe some breeding cherry shrimp will they get enough food or will it all get stolen by faster eaters? I'll feed other, frozen and flake food too for the others, but I'm very aware that gobies are fussy about their food being alive.

I think that's about it. I'll hopefully have a blackworm culture going in a smaller (5gal) tank with a few dwarf livebearers, but I'm not so concerned about that at this point.

Hit me with your advice please!

Ok, I will not be answering all of these in order, but I will try to get a few knocked out.

Red tailed sharks: Not in a 30g tank. They get too big, and too aggressive. I believe they need more like a 55g MINIMUM. Their personalities vary, and some are bigger jerks than others. Still though, they really should have more space than a 30g in my opinion. I know a few very good fish keepers who have actually found them too aggressive for even a 55g and had to swap them into a 75g. I frequently see the small tank sizes suggested for those guys too, and I really do not agree with that estimate.

Bumble bee gobies: I have kept Brachygobius xanthozona for years in freshwater. I never witnessed ay sort of odd behavior or shortened lifespan. So, I am of the opinion that this species can thrive in a freshwater environment. That is the only species I have kept, so I cannot really comment on any others. Tankmates do need need to be chosen with care though. They are nippy with other fish, and also a bit of finicky eaters. Mine ate flakes, but they don't all. I would not put a dwarf gourami in with them. I actually kept a female betta with mine for a bit, but I had to remove her because the gobies nipped her fins all the time. I tried a honey gourami and had the same issue. That might depend a bit on the personality of the fish, but that was my experience. The gobies did great with otos and ember tetras though.

Dwarf gourami: A single male will be fine. It is actually fairly tough to find females a lot of the time. They are not usually as colorful, and therefore do not sell as well. Thus, they are fairly sparse in the hobby.

Red phantoms versus cardinals: I am a bigger fan of more of one school. Fish will often show more schooling behavior in larger groups, and larger groups really look more impressive. The 2 different species will actually show fairly different behaviors. The cardinals are more your typical cluster and swim together sort, while the red phantoms will generally show of a dominance hierarchy. with one another. The males will display and such. They are not a tight schooling bunch generally ( at least, not in smaller numbers like in most home aquaria) due to this. Also, due to these different behaviors, the 2 species would not likely stick together.

Dwarf chain loaches: They are quite active and can be intimidating to shy fish. I would think they would be fine with red phantoms though.

All I can say is that I had a red tail in my 135, and he stressed out all my fish when he was full grown. They get very territorial when feeding.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom