stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am planning on getting a 38 gallon bow front aquarium, and i wanted to have cichlids in it, so i went onto the petsmart website would these work in it with an angelfish and clown pleco?

Kennyi African Cichlid | Live Fish | PetSmart

or

African Cichlid | Live Fish | PetSmart

Nonono. Two rules of thumb for cichlid
1:never mix South American an Africans together, it's just not gonna work
2: never mix Africans of a different lake

Alright, now the reasons these won't work is first, ph like Africans prefer akline while angelfish prefer a more soft acidic one. It's all about the water chemistry when it comes to cichlids an theses just don't mesh

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could i have just the african cichlids in it, or an angel and a firemouth cichlid?

Yeah, all African tank will work with research, but don't buy from the assorted tank at petco, lots of them are hybrids and the results could be bad from mixing unknown. Petsmart is not a reliable website to plan stocking, my go to is called liveaquria. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+1095&pcatid=1095

Look around an find a lake if you go with Africans, then research any species you would want for that lake. Then stock it accordingly :)

Firemouthes can work with angel fish though, so that's also an option but I think a keyhole would be a better option as Caleb stated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was thinking either mbuna cichlids, or an angelfish and a pair of blue rams. Would either of those work?

This tank is small for mbuna, not for water quality, but territories. I think you could get away with about 6 mbuna. Maybe try 3 zebras and 3 kenyi, or 3 electric yellows with 3 acei would make a more peaceful setup.

All of these fish reach 5"+.

Or would this stocking work
2 angelfish
5 albino cories
6 rummy nose tetras
1 bumblebee catfish

Is this your first aquarium?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

What are your water params out of the tap and what's in your ten?

My tap water is on the hard side, and acidic. And my ten has a school of lemon tetras and a dwarf gourami.

Then you'd be better off with the angel although I advise against rams unless it's Bolivians. Any morph of GBR are a pain to deal with- trust me. Give it a long time before you try them. What about an angel, the banjo cat, a big school of penguin tetras or rummies plus 8 ish Cories?

GBR are not that bad to take care of. Keep your water parameters in check and nitrates low and they are just fine. They just get a rep for being hard because they are less tolerant if you slack on water changes.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom